Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60 ATF Fluid Data, best etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60 ATF Fluid Data, best etc?

I have been reading information overload on ATF's Fluid. From Transynd/Mobil ATF/Amsoil to lowly Wal Mart Supertek.
Who really knows whats best for your application, especially if it is a rebuilt transmission, or an OEM. How is you car driven plays a big part in ATF life, IMHO. If you race the crap out of it, you may need a better ATF that wont break down.
But, where are the actual tests to prove one is better than the other. I am kinda reluctant to believe the stories of, "it feels better, looks cleaner, seems to run better" when there are no hard data to back it.
So, if there is Data from independents sources, please share it.
Why am I asking? Well, I am on the third rebuild of my 4L60 (1993 non electronic) Vette transmission. This time being built properly with better internals(Raybestos Z pak clutches modified, and clearances etc and larger cooler. It will be driven semi-hard as I do a few autocrosses/
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 AM
On The Tree

I have no data, but from my experience Dex III (I've used GM brand and Valvoline) works fine as long as you keep up on fluid and filter change intervals. I run the valvoline Dex/Merc in my Camaro with a 3600 stall and auxiliary cooler, I race occasionally and drive it with spirit daily. Change the fluid and filter once a year. Hope this helps a little
Old 03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

I need to install a guage too.
I have heard Transynd and Amsoil Equivalent is real good on high temps, as it wont break down. They use this in tractors etc as they dont cool very well.
DEXIII is being or is phased out. So, fluid choice is important, especially when I autocross etc.
I may also adjust my fan behind the cooler to come on sooner too.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Valvoline Dexron IV
Old 03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
The RED kind. In all seriousness.

If you need a special fluid to handle high heat then your problem is with the heat, not the fluid. Find a way to cool it, don't run a boiling hot trans and expect the fluid to save it.
My cooler is a B&M stacked and a BeCool radiator which has a 7 row internal to radiator which is better than factory. I run a cooler thermostat and fans come on at 190'sh.
All I am looking for is honest data on fluids. There is a bunch of information out there, and allot of tribal knowledge.
Another thing is before and after temps with external coolers. You just dont see the numbers.
And with fluid, I would expect Valvoline to be better than Wal MArt Supertek, but no one really seems to know. Amsoil posts all kind of wonderful data, but is it worth it to run a synthetic, or stick with the type the vehicle originally came with.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
This is the problem.
Sign up to every automotive forum on the internet and I guarantee there is a 5+ page thread on what you're asking for on every one of them.

The outcome is always the same, it goes round and round in circles, facts are spewed in one direction, then the other. In the end, there is still no clear cut answer. It's going to be little fact, a lot of whats worked for me, a lot of I read this and that, a lot of linking to other links that link to links.
So true. I guess asking road racers what they have used and what fluids handled heat better in their situation.

Quick Reply: 4L60 ATF Fluid Data, best etc?