Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Overdrive transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Overdrive transmission Questions

ionI figure if anyplace is going to know about GM transmissions this is the first place to post.

I have a 1991 Volvo 740 turbo with a factory 4cyl Engine with pretty much a ton of bolt ons. Last dyno was around 302whp and 326ft trq to the wheels. Right now it should be +20-30 whp and wtrq due to the new intake manifold. My plans are for around 360-380whp final power goals.

I have finally grown tired of replacing stock transmissions along with my adapters are finally done being made. I have a GM bell housing adapter and TC adapter made so that I can bolt any GM transmission up to my engine and Flexplate. Along with that we already know that it will fit in my trans tunnel. Building trans cooler lines is simple and I will just source a local trans shop to do the needed driveshaft modications.

And now Comes the question.

I am looking to use some kind of Overdrive Transmission as I do very much enjoy having 4 forward gears, I am looking mostly at the 200r4 as the gear ratios match my factory ratios almost perfect.

It seems as tho the big post I did was erased somehow so I will just type this little bit.

What transmission or type of build should I be looking at for a street/strip trans that should be able to hold 450hp/trq at the Engine?

Last edited by thelostartof; 03-13-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your only options, for not being electonically controlled, would be a 700-R4 or a 200-4R. In theory the 200-4R should be a little quicker (ET) with its closer gear ratio's and it has a (very) slightly better OD ratio of .67 rather than .7 . I would only trust these to shops that specialize in these tranny's. They can be more finicky than other tranny's.

Edit: Non-Sponsor Links Removed

Last edited by blackhawk0251; 03-14-2010 at 04:50 PM.