Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy 4L80 Lockup Solenoid Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Easy 4L80 Lockup Solenoid Question

Well, hopefully easy for those that know these transmissions.
I was proud of myself for draining this 4L80 I'm putting in the car this weekend and changing out the filter myself (hadn't ever done this). Well I was working by myself and I flipped the tranny over after draining it, and when I went to flip it back right side up I rolled it over on the lockup solenoid and it pushed it about a 1/4" to 1/2" further inside the case. I pulled it back out and it seemed to go back where it was. What I'm wondering is what's behind there? Could I have likely messed something up when this happened or caused it to leak? Below isn't my transmission, but it has the same style plastic fitting like this one, but has a epoxied end to it with 2 wires coming out for the lockup switch (this is a manual valvebody trans with a lockup function still intact)...

Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

No biggie. Make sure it's back in place and it'll be fine.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thank ya sir. I was going to PM but didn't want to be a nuisance. I'm happy how this thing looked inside, looked brand new with zero debris in the pan or on the magnet. I hope it works as good as it looks. If it shifts like doodoo, I'll be sending the valvebody your way for some doctoring.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

theres a couple diff filters, old and new style, did you match up yours to the one you got-i think the newer one has **** to rest on the pan, the older one doesnt, has a cut out area
Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, when I went to napa to pick up the filter, I specified '95 model year (year of this trans). It was titless and matched

Quick Reply: Easy 4L80 Lockup Solenoid Question