Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter locking in manual 3rd automatically???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converter locking in manual 3rd automatically???

I have a Rossler 4L60E, and has been really good to me until a few weeks ago. I noticed this wial driving to school one night; It would go threw the gears fine and go into overdrive fine at 45mph. But once it gets to a sustained speed it kicks back to 3rd gear. Keep in mind the gear selector is in OD, not manual 3rd. Then the other night I was at the dragstrip(1/8th mile) and I noticed that the shifts were happening a little to early, and once it hit 3rd gear the car would automatically lockup about 150 foot before the finish line. Really is getting annoying. When racing the car is always in manual 3rd, and I use a manual switch to lockup the converter when racing the quarter.

The problem became known shortly after spraying a 75 shot for the first time. Since then its done this. Also after driving the car for about 10 minutes it will throw the tranny in a "limp" mod, and not allow the transmission to go into overdrive, just stays in 3rd. The idle has increased, and the car has a slight miss, something in the high RPM range since the problem has arose. Not sure if they are related, just throwing that out.

Any suggestions, or ideas where to start looking would be greatly appreciated, or if you need more info just let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump it. I have been searching, and ready for hours, and only found a hand full of stuff about this, and nobody has a definite conclusion.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue that the trans would be fine for awhile then decide it would not shift into third or fourth (limp mode). It was a small piece of grass that had stuck to my MAF sensor somehow, cleaned it and it shifted perfectly. I would get some cleaner and see if that helps.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6Drop
I had an issue that the trans would be fine for awhile then decide it would not shift into third or fourth (limp mode). It was a small piece of grass that had stuck to my MAF sensor somehow, cleaned it and it shifted perfectly. I would get some cleaner and see if that helps.
Thats really wierd! But hey you never know. I will try pulling the air cleaner, and MAF today. Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

What about codes?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
What about codes?
I just installed a scanmaster and am gonna check it for codes this weekend, and see what comes up. I will get back to you on that. Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, got a chance to play with the car today. It was throwing a code when i came home from the track last weekend. The code was 74 (TCS circuit low). I reset it, and drove it today for about 20 miles straight. No code was thrown. It started perfect, and ran perfect for about 2 miles. Once on the open road, it lookedup @ 45mph like normal, and once i hit 55 mph and stayed there for about 5 seconds it unlocked. And would not lock backup unless i did it manually. I did some half throttle playing around, and the car started running worse and worse. After about 5 miles I stopped the car and accelerated normally to 55. The converter did not lock at all. I am positive it set itself into limp mode because i did a 0-100 after about 15 miles, and it felt like it only shifted once. So it might not be going into 1st gear ether after in limp mode. The trany started to run a little hot so i took it back, and shut her down. Checked the scanmaster for any code, and nothing.

Before driving it today I switched back to my old TR6 plugs, unhooked the lingenfelter 2-step/retard box, and checked the maf for any debri. Nothing changed.

I called my tuner and told him the situation, he said that it is definately not in the tune, and is most likely the transmission or converter. The converter is a SS4000, and has only about 1200 miles on it, and the transmission is a Rossler 4L60E and was just freshened this winter, has less than 200 miles on it. Converter was in the car all last year with zero problems. The transmission ran perfect for about 100 miles, and 5 1/8mile passes before this started happening.

If anyone can help, or give me something else to try I would greatly appreciate it, running out of ideas, and patients. Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds like the transmission,the converter is locking up so it works fine it will only lock and unlock as directed by the transmission oil flow. I would look at a cross leak in the valvebody or in the front pump of the transmission
Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yank
Sounds like the transmission,the converter is locking up so it works fine it will only lock and unlock as directed by the transmission oil flow. I would look at a cross leak in the valvebody or in the front pump of the transmission
Thanks guys. I tryed to give you a call today, and ask but the line was busy. I was damn sure that it wasnt the converter. It has worked absolutely perfect since i bought it, and always recommend you to anyone who asks. I will give Carl @ Rossler trans a call tommarow, and see what he thinks. I just hope i dont have to pallet it up, and send it back to Ohio.....again.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talked to Carl Rossler today, and he said that if the converter is locking and unlocking manually fine, then its most likely not a transmission problem. He said that its not the tune, converter or the transmission most likely but a sensor or something simular causing it to run fine, then go bad. I am having my buddy who is a GM mechanic come over friday with a scan tool he has and see if we can find something that doesnt look right.