Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny keeps getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny keeps getting hot

Alright so first off I bought a converter from a local builder which had issues of slipping and being very inefficient.

Even with this cooler, I was still seeing temps of over 200. http://www.performancetransparts.com...ooler1405.aspx

I just swapped the junk converter out for an FTI. Put new fluid in also. I drove it normal for about 30 minutes, part stop and go, part highway. Temps started to level out at about 180 but slowly creeped to about 195, which is about where it stopped. That was just normal driving since I want to break the converter in a little.

I have the cooler run in series with the radiator (tranny>radiator>cooler>tranny). Coolant temps are getting up to about 205. Before my recent heads/cam swap it would always be at 177 no matter what. I did use peak antifreeze since it was cheaper to put in, so I'm gonna have my friend flush it at his shop and put the stuff I used to use in there (gold coolant).

In theory wouldn't a cooler water temp mean cooler tranny temps since the radiator itself would be cooler?

Any ideas why my tranny is getting hotter than I think it should with a big cooler like I have on it?

Any info. or opinions are welcome.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Try a higher quality full synthetic tranny fluid. You should see a temp decrease with the better stuff available from Hydrotex, LE etc.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Just my thinking,perhaps the FTI CONV is stalling (slipping ) more at slow driving/not lock up. again just my thoughts I would never run full synthetic tranny fluid in any stall, suggest you call FTI and ask about fluid