Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerloss through trans, which would have the least?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powerloss through trans, which would have the least?

I am currently thinking of either waiting till my 4L60E ***** the bed which may not be for a while or swap over to a TH350 (instead of wasting $ on stalling a 4L60E then swapping trans down the road) anyways...

If set up for optimum performance is there a "better then the rest" trans which provides the least powerloss through power transfer. I would think for starters the lighter the trans the less rotating mass=less lost power. that is one reason why I am going with the TH350.

This would be for the "average" drag/street car nothing that would need to see a 2 speed.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

I have seen 4l60e in some really fast cars..
Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

TH200 if you want to refresh regularly.

I sense that you don't.

The TH350 isn't that much of a gain in powerloss over the 4L60.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If built right (the aftermarket has plenty of neat stuff for the 350), the TH350 can be more efficient than the 4L-60E but otherwise they are about the same, in my experience based on trap speeds.

A Powerglide can be built to be *extremely* efficient and work very well at the track in the right comb (lot's of power in a light car.)
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
I am currently thinking of either waiting till my 4L60E ***** the bed which may not be for a while or swap over to a TH350 (instead of wasting $ on stalling a 4L60E then swapping trans down the road) anyways...

If set up for optimum performance is there a "better then the rest" trans which provides the least powerloss through power transfer. I would think for starters the lighter the trans the less rotating mass=less lost power. that is one reason why I am going with the TH350.

This would be for the "average" drag/street car nothing that would need to see a 2 speed.
If this is just an average car stay with your 60e there is no reason to change.If you build it right it should give you years of good service.If this was a pure drag car i would start to look at power loss,but in your application you would never see a difference anyway.