Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bad day....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bad day....

well just thought id post up for some encouragement and help. ive had my formula 98 a4 for 4 years no motor or transmission. in the past 3 months ive put a rebiult heads/cam ls1 in the car, and a built 4l60e with the help of a good friend to me. so today in san antonio the weather wasnt cooperating
rain of course and in the mix of trying to fire the car for the first time in 4 years i find out, the rebuilt starter is no good(armatuer not coming out) it happens and its no ones fault it just sucks. so i say forget it put it back on the ground and come to find out (also just installed drive shaft and filled the
transmission today)that the car wont move any more.checked the e-brake, its ok not sticking. so basically im saying its the transmission. what did i do wrong? ive got the shift linkage correctly installed facing downward. but no matter where i put the manual rod the car wont move. i guess im going to have to drop the pan.maby a parking paw problem or something. just seems like im never going to get this car going. any insight or if someone has had this same problem lemme know!. the car has never turned over only rotated by hand also.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I've seen it a million times on here, very common when an engine and trans is put together the pump gets broken. Take the bottom cooler line off, start the engine and see if fluid comes out.

Then again the trans is rebuilt, it could be a problem with that too.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

the engine doesnt run yet, this is with the engine off, i know what i did, i made sure to be carefull putting the trans in, its something with the manual rod or parking paw, will pull the pan off tommorow. thanks for the input though any help is always appreciated!!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure that the brakes are not locked up on this vehicle? With the drive shaft out of the trans can you turn the output shaft? I think I would be checking a few other things unless you feel that your builder did something really wrong in your transmission. Vince
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

the brakes werent locked, it rolled with the driveshaft un hooked, and i was the builder, the rod was disconnected from the selector now it disengages.all fixed now