Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e issues

Alright, I am so dumbfounded right now with my car. 1994 Trans Am, 4l60e transmission, 155k miles, runs strong, no prior issues except replaced radiator.

About a month ago I was driving my car home from work and as I was leaving a stoplight, I noticed my rpms were going up but my car wasn't accelerating. Slipping I assumed. Get the car back to my place, it will not move forward, but it worked perfectly fine in reverse. One night I decided to go take a look at the car again, I put my foot on the brake and accelerated up to about 2k rpm and it finally kicked in. I was able to drive it to the gas station about 2 miles away, but noticed it was slipping when I was driving (rpms were going up, but speed stayed the same).

On my way back home from the gas station, my car ***** up once again. It also threw a "SES" light as well. I ended up having to get some friends to push my car back into my garage because now the gears were messed up. Reverse lights were coming on in neutral, car would move forward in reverse, etc.

I go and rent a scanner, find out it had 2 codes. 24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Error, and 28 - Trans Pressure Switch Manifold. I decided to order a new transmission pressure switch manifold. I took the other one out and it looked in shitty shape, o-rings coming out. So I installed the new pressure switch and put the pan back on, put new fluid and filter in, started the car up, and guess what happens?

The car now works perfectly fine in forward gears, 1, 2, 3, and drive. I put the car in neutral, it still goes forward like it's in drive, and reverse no longer works. So I went from no forward and only reverse, to only forward and no reverse. I put the car in reverse with it facing up a hill, and it seemed like it just locks up. Any ideas or suggestions on what the problem is or how to fix it?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:56 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe your forward clutch has welded itself together. Unfortunately you will need to have the trans replaced or repaired in order to fix this situation. If there is something we can do for you please feel free to give us a call. Vince

www.finishlinetrans.com 1-630-350-7776
Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think the forward clutch would weld itself together that quickly? Because it worked perfectly fine in reverse prior to switching out the pressure switch manifold. Then about 45 minutes after changing the part out and changing the fluid, it all the sudden loses reverse.

Quick Reply: 4l60e issues