Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking transmission fluid from electrical plug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking transmission fluid from electrical plug?

Hey everyone. So after heads, cam, stall this winter I went and the car tuned yesterday. On the way home I noticed all of a sudden the car was smoking terrible so I hurried and pulled over. After I got out and looked under the car I could see that transmission fluid was practically flowing out of somewhere and dripping onto my exhaust and everything. I thought it was probably one of the two lines running to/from the transmission coolers that had come loose so I called a buddy, loaded it onto a trailer and took it home.

Turns out those lines are not my problem. There is a green electrical harness/plug which plugs into the transmission just below the cooler lines. It appears that the transmission fluid is coming out of the base of where that plug goes into in the transmission. So, I got a couple questions.

How do I remove that plug to fix the gasket or whatever is bad that is causing the leak? Do I have to pull the pan?

Is their oil directly behind that plug? Or do I have the source of my leak wrong?

The leak is really big. I lost about 1 quart in about a minute
Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

This is the plug I am talking about. In the top left is the male part of the plug which plugs into the other plug in the center. The center plug leaks around the base. How do I take it out and what is it called?
Attached Thumbnails Leaking transmission fluid from electrical plug?-img_20110510_161222.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

That's part of the internal trans harness. Comes out from the inside.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm that stinks. I guess I will drop the pan then. Do you know where I could find a part number? Or is there just a gasket or something that seals it to inside face of the transmission? I can slide the whole thing up and down so something tells me there is a clip inside that has broke that used to hold it all the way up, pressing it to make that seal. Would a place like autozone have it or do I need to go to a dealer?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

This thread described exactly what my problem was. I pulled the pan, pushed the plug back to where it was supposed to be until it clicked into place and no more leaking.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...g-top-pan.html

Quick Reply: Leaking transmission fluid from electrical plug?