Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans choices, 98 sierra.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans choices, 98 sierra.

ill be doing a 5.3 swap into my 98 sierra, but im waiting for the 5.7L to die(cpl more yrs) first. in getting ready for the swap ive already beefed up the 14bolt rear and the transfer case is gettin a rebuild soon aswell. but i still need to decide whether im going to build up and keep the 4l60e, or upgrade to an 80e.

the 4l60e option is easy to figure out cuz itll plug back in after the rebuild, and need some work once the 5.3 comes into play. where i get iffy is on the 4l80e selection option.

newer or older style? will the electronics line up? what changes when the 5.3 computer comes into play? will it bolt to the 5.7? converter/flywheel choices?

the trucks a daily driven, highway travellin, towin the car to the strip and the trailer/boat to the lake kinda truck. not racing, not mud boggin 4x4'n, just a drivin around truck. probably be around 400hp once the 5.3 comes into play, now it sits at a stock probably 280-300 or so.

Thanks Folks!
Kyle.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noonzor
ill be doing a 5.3 swap into my 98 sierra, but im waiting for the 5.7L to die(cpl more yrs) first. in getting ready for the swap ive already beefed up the 14bolt rear and the transfer case is gettin a rebuild soon aswell. but i still need to decide whether im going to build up and keep the 4l60e, or upgrade to an 80e.

the 4l60e option is easy to figure out cuz itll plug back in after the rebuild, and need some work once the 5.3 comes into play. where i get iffy is on the 4l80e selection option.

newer or older style? will the electronics line up? what changes when the 5.3 computer comes into play? will it bolt to the 5.7? converter/flywheel choices?

the trucks a daily driven, highway travellin, towin the car to the strip and the trailer/boat to the lake kinda truck. not racing, not mud boggin 4x4'n, just a drivin around truck. probably be around 400hp once the 5.3 comes into play, now it sits at a stock probably 280-300 or so.

Thanks Folks!
Kyle.
For that Hp I would go with the 4l60e. I is easier to adapt in the truck and calibrate. The electronics depend on what you are doing for engine controls. Factory ECM and harness etc...