Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Z28 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z28 problems

I signed up here a while back but didnt post. I finally got my hands on an F-body and thought all was well until i drove it home. Little bit about the car... 94 Z28 A4 with a 98-02 SS front clip and rear spoiler on it. 161k miles and very very clean from what i could see. Interior has no tears or rips and only a single crack on the dash. When i spoke with the previous owner on the phone he said the car had a transmission rebuild at the beginning of October. He R&R's it and a shop rebuilt it. I have the receipt stating it was rebuilt. However, the receipt doesnt have a parts list and seems pretty cheap at only $400.

Picked the car up about 60 miles away from home. After getting about 40 miles into the trip home, i pulled off the freeway to stop and have a smoke and take a **** at a carl's jr. After pulling into the parking lot and parking the car i noticed a lot of white smoke but figured i just drove through a puddle coming into the parking lot. After coming out of Carl's Jr. my fiance pointed out a puddle of something under the car. (she was the one who initially drove it from the guys house to carl's). I moved the car over a spot and she swiped her finger across the fluid on the ground.. sure enough it was trans fluid. I went across the street and picked up 3 quarts of ATF and put them in the car and limped it home. The car acted just as it did when we first started driving it. The car revved a little higher than i would think it should then the shifts were slow and soft.

After getting the car home i figured i would start with the easiest part and throw a new pan gasket on it. That didnt fix the problem so i pulled the trans out of the car. After getting the trans out i noticed that the seal on the pump was mangled so instead of trusting the guy and messing with installing a new seal, i went and picked up a rebuilt pump. I figured $30 for the gaskets to do that job i would just spend $100 and get a pump with a warrenty. After replacing the pump i started questioning to myself if the trans had been apart recently. The pump was a royal PITA to get out of the trans... After putting the new pump in it and getting everything back in the car, I had to put a new shift cable on it and the new lever. Previous owner did a hack job when he put the trans back in i guess and broke the tab on the cable that holds it to the bracket. After getting everything back together and running, i drove it to my fiance's parents house. It acted the same as it did prior to the new pump except this time no leaking fluid.

Pulled it into the driveway and left it there for a little bit. Went to take the car home and the car would revup and barley move the car in reverse. (their driveway is kinda steep, the house is below street level) I got about half way up the driveway and the car reved nearly to redline and wouldnt move itself in reverse anymore. It would hold in the same position but it wouldnt move no mater how much i was on the skinny pedal. I tried twice thinking maybe the tires spun or something the first time. I had the car towed back to my house and called the shop who "rebuilt" it.

I am taking the trans to the guy in the morning and just want to know if you guys think its possible that he messed something up when he rebuilt it or maybe he never touched it? Is there something else it could be besides the trans slipping?

Sorry for the really long post.