Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

built 4l60e with yank ss3200 question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default built 4l60e with yank ss3200 question.

Will footbraking an untuned 60e with a conveter throw the trans into limp mode? If so can this be taken care of with hp tuners?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 12-11-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've never personally seen this happen, but anytime the rpms do not match what the computer thinks they should be, a limp mode can be triggered. A bigger converter can usually trigger this on an untuned setup.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Now would a transmission shop be able to clear/reset the computer or would hp tuners be the best route?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

HP tuners... We have not had a converter throw a vehicle into limp mode.. Only time slippage will throw it into limp mode is if the computer sees a slip when the tcc is applied.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, Im hoping hp tuners will take care of the issue. The trans is a probuilt auto ss (kit) built by a respected local builder. With the yank ss 3200. Trans had approx. 450 miles on it before a red light footbrake took place after that it was hard to leave off the line felt like brakes were being applied but you can manually downshift and take off and upshift through all gears. I removed the trans again had the builder go back through it he said just some burnt overrun cluthes then when reinstalled it did the exact same thing right off the jackstands. Thanks again for the info

Ryan
Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If you turn the car off, wait a few seconds, and restart, the condition should go away. I use to get a 2/3 shift solenoid failure code when I went to a Yank 4k. What would happen was the 2/3 shift would be commanded at a lower throttle position, the shift would take place, and then directly after I would apply more throttle to keep the car accelerating. This would cause the rpms to stay the same as before the shift took place. The computer sees this as the shift did not take place, meaning the transmission is broken so it gives you a limp mode condition. Once I figured out the how and why, I could throw it into that condition at will, and on the same token, I could avoid it. As long as you allowed the rpms to drop accordingly for a short period of time after a shift, the computer saw no fault, then you could apply whatever throttle you liked. I disabled the corresponding 2/3 solenoid code in the tune and it does not check for this failure anymore, leaving me limp free......

Quick Reply: built 4l60e with yank ss3200 question.