Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift problem.. Tv cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift problem.. Tv cable

I have a 93 z28 and the problem is, when you adjust the tv cable by holding down the button and opening the throttle wide open, the car won't shift right at all. It will hit overdrive at 30 and won't hold out a shift. So then I push the cable all the way towards the firewall and it will shift hard in first and hold out the rest of the shifts just nice but the problem is if I go wot, it yanks the cable out and shifts crappy again until I fix it... Anybody else have this problem?

Im also getting code 28 and it says in the Manuel check transmission range control circuit but I've heard ppl say it's a quad driver or fan relay... Don't know:/
Old 12-14-2011, 10:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like your TV cable is faulty its should only rachet out a certain distance and instead is coming all the way out , The proper way is push button in then push cable housing as far towards firewall as possible then without the car running then release button, push throttle to the floor as far as you can go. Then provided the TV cable is ok and you have not changed throttle body etc in a way that would alter cable geometry you should be set. Note car cannot be running when you do this set up. NOTE DRIVING CAR EVEN A MILE WITH THE TV CABLE TO LOOSE CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE TRANS AND FAILURE!
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 AM

Question

Well I bought the car and the guy said it had a shift kit in it and he replaced the tv cable... Now the car was pretty rigged when i got and I've already had to change the transmission out... The mechanic said these guys tried to mod the valve body for more performance but it didn't last long. So maybe the tv cable is to long or something. But if I adjust it the way you say.. The shifting is horribly short and slips or lags in-between shifts!!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Performabuilt is right. TV cables can destroy a trans quick but, if you just had transmission work, then they would had adjusted the cable for you, if not replace it for correct shift operation, correct? So why goof with it? Not shifting right still? Take it back to the tranny guys!

Nice looking Camaro by the way....
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks !! But the shop didn't replace the tv cable, I thought they would but I just want to floor my car without the linkage popping out:/ I'll check into replacing it!