Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a chevy but I need a bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default It's not a chevy but I need a bit of help

Hey guys this is for my sisters 94 accord, the people over at honda tech havent been to much help so hopefully some of the tranny gurus here can help.

Story: Last night she calls me telling me her car wont move so I go over to where she is and she's right if i put it in reverse the tranny goes into gear for a second but the motor will rev free and barely move. So then I try drive the car goes in gear and I take it around the block at first it seems normal but its slipping in between shifts and after about .5 miles of driving the thing almost completely falls out of gear to the point I'm revving it to 3500 just to get it to move at 20 mph.

My diagnosis is that it dseems either the clutches or pump has gone bad and is only working for a few mins when cold. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start off by checking the fluid. I had the same thing happen on my mom's old grand prix when it was 1.5 quarts low. See if the fluid smells burnt. After that I would pull the pan and see what you kind of crap you have in there.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

If it's an automatic, it's time for a rebuild. Honda auto are known to fail anytime after 100k miles. I can't tell you what's exactly wrong but I had a prelude and it had similar symptoms and the transmission was fd up. I ended up doing a 5spd swap.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Most likely the converter went bad and the material from the clutch plugged the filter which is why it will move for awhile and stop.See if there are any codes.Are there any whining noises?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

The fluid is fine I actually just chenged the fluid lastweek it was about a year old and the tranny was shifting a little hard.The fluid didnt and still doesnt smell burnt but the magnet did have quite a bit of crud on it for only being in a year I was hoping we'd atleast get a few more months out of it but i guess not.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

if the fluid level is ok I would drop the pan and change the filter again possible the filter is not sealing or is packed with clutck materal. my son had a new (2k miles)TC bearings go out and passed metal into the filter, we re install the oe TC and filter fluid in 50 miles as soon as it warmed up and stopped up the filter it would start slipping, we changed the filter only 3 more times and now after 20 k miles the trans is still going great
Johnny
Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

There is no pan on the Honda tranny lol it just a has plug to drain the fluid and that's pretty much it lol