Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to rebuild my TH400 for 1000HP. What do I upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with Jake's and you will never have to worry about your trans again.

I'm an experienced dealership technician, and do a TON of stock rebuilds, but when it comes to racing and aftermarket modification, you need somebody who can tell you what needs to be upgraded as stock rebuild knowledge no longer applys to a point.

As stated above, if you've never done an auto...I would not recommend starting out on a 1000HP application, and like Jake said, you will have well above what you could just buy a built unit from him for by following the learning curve. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, just be prepared to pay for that education in time, money and frustration.

If it's something you want to learn, go it yourself man, you will come out knowing more and be able to say it was all your hands that did it.

If you enjoy just going to the track and having fun, give Jake a call.

Jake, thank you very much for supplying me with the parts and info on my TH400 Build. So far taking up to 10PSI on my pile....and shifting like a champ.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StraightTimeStirrups
Two doors down from my shop is a shop that builds Turbo 400 Transmissions for the Off Road Racing Crowd! The cost, $40,000.00 and they work on them ALL DAY LONG 5 days a week! It blows me away how much work they have! When they rebuild rear ends, the Ring and Pinions alone sell for $3500 a set just for the Ring and Pinion!

OUCH!

Joe
I would like to know what parts they use to make a th400 cost $40,000.00 I work on heavy equipment and those transmissions cost that much.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

^ I too read this....but skipped over it cause I thought it was an exaggeration or typo. I can't possibly see HOW you could ever put that much money into one.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Jakes FTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNg5q...layer_embedded

The banging of the limiter was due to me not being on top of the shifting duties in time, being as the camera making this video, was in my line of sight to the tach, and therefore, I was using it as the viewfinder for the tach....lol.

Trans works great. I got all the parts from Jake, which for my low HP application, wasn't a whole lot.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumble
One of the best things I ever did was visit www.idealhowtovideo.com and buy their High Performance 400 Turbo info.
I purchased a copy and saw the video. I even seen it a few times while tearing apart my Th400. Needless to say I can tear my tranny apart down to the clutch bands and springs and put everything back together with no problem. I highly recommend this video for anyone looking tearing into these 400s.

I'll be ordering parts next month to start on my 1000HP build. Once done I'll be taking my trans down to a trans dyno for testing. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Default Good for you!

Some have the desire to learn, and that sounds like you. I started to build my own TH400 3 years ago and I love doing it. I do all of my own work and that really keeps costs down. I have made mistakes but I learn what works and improve the next build. Drag racing is fun and affordable for me and I love working with my hands.
Attached Thumbnails I want to rebuild my TH400 for 1000HP.  What do I upgrade???-camaro-dragster-6-20-2011-001.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy doing everything myself and in my case it's a must. Some people can afford to pay someone to do the work for them but unfortunately I can't...especially with a lil one on the way. Everything from body work, paint, fabrication, tuning, etc... will be done by me.

There are a lot of people that say it's best to just save the money and pay a pro. I respect their opinion and keep on pushing. I would rather hear from the guy that tells me what to watch out for and what not to do than the guy who said don't do it.

Glad to see you're on the same boat man.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny
I enjoy doing everything myself and in my case it's a must. Some people can afford to pay someone to do the work for them but unfortunately I can't...especially with a lil one on the way. Everything from body work, paint, fabrication, tuning, etc... will be done by me.

There are a lot of people that say it's best to just save the money and pay a pro. I respect their opinion and keep on pushing. I would rather hear from the guy that tells me what to watch out for and what not to do than the guy who said don't do it.

Glad to see you're on the same boat man.

Nothing wrong with that. I started rebuild transmissions for the same reason.

My main concern at the beginning of the thread was safety. At 1000 HP, it becomes a serious game and you need a serious transmission. Safety becomes a very real concern.

The mechanically inclined DIYer can build a pretty nice TH400 for up to 600-700 HP/TQ and I wouldn't have any huge concerns about safety being an issue. It doesn't take anything super fancy up to that point. A blueprinted build stock unit with any performance oriented valve body will work.

Good luck with it.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

I understand your point on wanting to build it yourself. I'm cool with that but keep in mind that I went through some parts (broken sprags etc) before I realized that I needed billet parts and high strength components in order to bring it to a level that can handle the big power. I eventually had a local guy who build racing Th400's go through it for $400.00 bucks and put in his High HP package. Not had any issues since.

But do yourself a favor and make sure you start with a nice shield. I don't know Jake or his shop but it looks like they use the same shield that I like. Definitely start with that.
http://www.csr-performance.com/shop/...olet-turbo-400

My buddy had tranny parts blow through the floor cut the gas and brake pedal and proceeded to get lodged in the dash. DON'T lose your foot or worse. Cheap insurance!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

my th400 I'm pretty sure my builder uses a "wafer" type clutches has a rougher surface. They hold power just fine never any signs of failure. Only parts I have ever had fail on my th400 were 2 hard parts. I've broken an input shaft due to transbrake switch failing and I have broken another stock input shaft from a 60 punch on the highway. Also have broken a fwd clutch hub in half on the 1-2 shift. Can't forget about the caselugs either do the case saver mod or you will wipe them out. I have since upgraded to a billet input shaft and hub haven't had any issues. Car is making around 1100hp/1200ft lbs
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

TH400 build for 1000hp+ in parts alone is not cheap. With 1,000 horsepower, you need a billet input shaft, billet intermediate shaft and a billet forward hub. At that point you are definitely in the territory of needing the 36 element "Super Drum". The drum is the most expensive of the parts, but man it is a nice piece, and at 1,000 hp it comes pretty highly recommended. For the billet stuff alone, that runs somewhere in the area of 400ish for the input shaft, 150 or so for the billet forward hub, about 350 for the intermediate shaft, and the super drum is somewhere in the 700 range if I remember right. Factor in the cost of a full rebuild kit as well, not to mention the cost of the core. TH400's didn't come with one universal output shaft so depending on what your core came with, you may need to purchase a new output shaft (look at the hole at the end of the shaft, if it's threaded, it's a truck shaft.

Another recommendation is to avoid falling into marketing hype or BS about what's needed when it comes to clutches. Some people will tell you how great their red, blue, green, purple etc clutches are because they cost $18 per friction and people in general often have an inherent need to justify an expensive purchase (factor in 5 frictions [for one drum], not including cost of steels and see how quick that adds up) OEM Hi Energy frictions are more than up to the task and are more cost effective to boot

Check all of your bushings, especially your pump bushing, center support bushing, case bushing and tail housing bushing. I'd replace those at the bare minimum, though I can understand if you want to let the center support stay in place if the one already in it looks good.

You'll need a bushing driver and preferably access to a press to replace the bushings. When putting lip seals on the pistons, be careful with the lip seal installer tool, if you're new to installing pistons it isn't too hard to chew up the lip seals, and if that happens they need to be replaced.

The most important part about the entire thing is making sure your line pressure is in a healthy range. If your line pressure is far off enough, you could burn your clutch packs up within a few miles of driving, but worse things can definitely happen. I don't know if the dyno place you're going to take the transmission to charges by the hour or by the run on the dyno, but I definitely recommend taking your time and making sure everything is as correct as you can make it so you can save money by not having to spend more money on the dyno.

I hope the above advice is helpful, it's pretty basic bare bones building tips and I know I have left a lot of stuff out, but I felt that was a decent list of tips and advice to get you started.

EDIT:

I would like to also add one more thing though. I do understand being a DIYer, I mean I COMPLETELY get that, I am the same way myself, everything that has been done to my car, I have done myself, short of the tune, but even then, if I wanted to sit down and take the time and screw with HPTuners I could do that too, and believe me it has crossed my mind lol. I also understand being on a budget, but honestly I am going to agree with Jake on this one, safety first, all the way, all the time. 1,000 hp is some serious power, and everything needed to make it all work has to be done right.

Last edited by SnIpEz; 03-31-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by midwestjunk
I just had a th400 built last month rated for 1,000hp. it is a 8 bolt pump, billet forward hub, direct drum 34 element sprag, alto red clutches, roller bearing rear section, hipster RMVB w/ trans brake, JW Ultrabell, deep aluminum pan. I paid $1,800 and they supplied the core.

The upgrade to the billet shafts and fully rollerized really jumps the price up so I declined that. I was told it was not neccessary for my application, but it would definetly be better. the 1,000 hp is at the far end of what my car will end up making next year anyway.
Who built it?

Quick Reply: I want to rebuild my TH400 for 1000HP. What do I upgrade???