Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car dragging, shift solenoid b stuck, new tranny and stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car dragging, shift solenoid b stuck, new tranny and stall

I am working on a 2002 z28. Stock. We put a rebuilt 4l60e in it and a yank ss4000 stall. It started to take really high rpms just to get the car to move. I am thinking it may be stuck in OD or something?? It's now throwing the code saying "shift solenoid b stuck on" Also, this may be a second problem, but I noticed in OD at low rpms I was kind of hearing a howling noise..not sure if it was from the transmission or rear end though. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Could the stall possibly not be unlocking properly since the car isn't tuned for it?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

The high stall is confusing the computer. Get it tuned.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Teching In

It seems to do fine until the car has been driven about 30 minutes or so...then it will happen. The plan is to get it tuned shortly, but I am just wondering if there may be another problem?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sc6speed
It seems to do fine until the car has been driven about 30 minutes or so...then it will happen. The plan is to get it tuned shortly, but I am just wondering if there may be another problem?
You really won't know until it's tuned correctly. Until you know the tune is setup for the transmission, it's hard to guess what could be wrong. Keep us updated.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Well, that will be what I do next then. As a learning experience, what exactly is going on as to why it needs to be tuned for this?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Teching In

As a side note, I took the car back out and once it started to act up again I realized a few things. It isn't shifting to OD. It seems to be stuck in drive pretty much except it is going to 1st when I manually put it there but its still taching to many rpms just to get moving. Reverse works fine all of the time.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

car is in limp mode basically the computer thinks the stock converter is in there and since you put a 4k stall it thinks the stock converter is toast. The computer then locks out all the gears except for one and it takes a pissload of throttle to move and the car may do some other funny stuff at this point. Easy way to verify, when it happens pull over and turn the car off, turn back on a min later and see if it drives like normal. You can also brake stall the car (like if you were at the track,held the brake while giving it gas like bringing up the rpms right before it would spin) do that for a few seconds and it should set off limp mode. Basically you need code po751 shut off.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks. What you described is exactly what I am going through. Will be getting it tuned asap.

Quick Reply: car dragging, shift solenoid b stuck, new tranny and stall