Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Trans Harness Install??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Trans Harness Install??

I am going to try and replace my internal trans wiring harness for a 00' T/A 4l60E.
Can anyone tell me if the valve body must come out, I am replacing the internal harness with TCC. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Short answer. Nope.
You need to remove the PWM solenoid in order to get the TCC solenoid out.
The PWM solenoid is held with a spring clip that is easy to pull out with a hook
or even a small screwdriver.

The hardest part is often getting the electrical connector out.
First disconnect it from the car's wiring harness from the top.
Then get a 1-1/4" 12point socket, place it over the top of the connector on the trans and push down on the socket; that should release the connector so that you can pull it down from inside the trans.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I got the internal harness install but still no lock-up. It shifts fine but just wont lock-up. I replaced the harness with the tcc solenoid, put in 5qt of new fluid, and a new filter. Is there any other solenoid that could cause this? I was reading this page http://www.gmtruckhq.com/?q=node/93 and #13 is the problem. So im guessing it may be the stock torque converter itself?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Do you perhaps have a check-engine light code. Like code 1870?
While the torque converter could be defective, from what I read (I have NO experience here), it is more likely to be a worn TCC valve in the valve body. Transgo makes a replacement valve that supposedly fixes this. It is part of the HD-2 shift kit, but perhaps separately too. This will require removing the valve body, but not the entire trans.
There is also a TCC valve in the oil pump; IIRC this can be removed after only dropping the pan.

I don't have the experience to help you further than that; hopefully someone more experienced will chime in soon. Or go to a trans shop and at least get an opinion. If they think it is something less than removing the trans, go for it.

Quick Reply: Internal Trans Harness Install??