Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mad Dog Transmissions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess we will see. I read tons of posts on ls1 tech about how bad they were, read reviews online of how bad they are, then I seen some that said they bought one a while ago and it was still strong. A ton of people with low post numbers came on here and some were good some where bad. I just came on here a while ago looking for tips on how to get my car up in the horses. Shortly after that, my trans went. Needed a new one and seen people on here arguing about the quality of the trans from mad, so I am here to clear this all up once and for all. I needed a trans, I don't need to last me too long since I graduate in may, then I will be sinking a ton into the car anyway. So why not give them a shot, and I will tell honestly how the trans is doing. I Hope this post is taken seriously and is only meant to help people decide on which place to go to get a trans.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:10 AM
Teching In

I know this thread is dead but I created an account of this forum to put my two cents in to defend a guy and his company that most of you are are bashing.
I have purchased a stage 3 700r4 trans from Mad Dog transmissions before he changed the name to mad dog. The trans that i have had for a couple years now and beat the hell out of with my daily driven/drag car that has 504 HP and 512 Torque with no issues. The only issue i have ever had with the trans is when I first got it and the valve body was bad. This was determined but local trans guy i know and Mad Dogs Customer sevice. Mad dog said they would replace it and even offered to pay for shipping back to them fix it and ship it back to me. I ended up doing it myself due to the lack of time i had before a track day.
I still curently have the trans and still running strong. I have had the trans in and out of cars with one making 630 FT LB of torque.

Two of the guys i go racing with also have transmisions from Mad Dog and have nothing but good comments about them.

I did go through a break in cycle of heating it up by driving it a good distance and letting it cool down before I really beat on it.

Everyone has bad days and mess ups but as I can also say that some of the problems with his transmissions or any transmission to that matter could be from the istaller of the trans and Operator of the vehicle.

Nothing but good words for him and his company.
Thanks Mad Dog Luo!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 AM
Teching In

If Proof is needed that I own a trans from Mad Dog Luo's company I will post pictures to back up what i am saying.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm the person who won a Transmission from Mad Dog for guessing the Super Bowl score last year.

I asked if he would build me a TH400 for my TT 2004 GTO as I was currently setting the car up for this trans type. (The timing of this contest was perfect.)
Lou contacted me shortly after the contest to congratulate me and to get started on the transmission. I explained my goals for the car and what type of driving I would be doing.
He was in contact with me several times throughout the process from the time we first spoke, all the way up until the transmission arrived. He even shipped it at his own expense. I paid nothing out of pocket for this transmission.
I just want to say Thank You again. Lou took money out of his own pocket by putting on this contest. And delivered everything he said he would.
The final product is a bad *** TH400 with B&M fluid pan, an installed brand new JW Ultra Bell housing among other goodies inside the trans itself. I'll let Lou elaborate on that if he'd like.
Me on the other hand, I did not deliver everything that I said I would. And I apologize for that, Lou. I told Lou that I would post up video's of this transmission in action.
I finally completed my build in August of 2013. A twin turbo 404ci LS2.
I only drove the car for maybe 1,000 miles. Just enough to get the tune in order and safe enough to be driven around in the city. Then I would get it tuned by a professional.

To make a long story short, I drove to California to get the tune on there and see what it could do. The engine let go several pulls into the session. Putting down 74x WHP and 880 torque on the last pull. the trans performed flawlessly on the street and the dyno. Nice firm shifts and it never skipped a beat. I'm extremely happy with the unit.
I made a huge mistake when installing the boost controller which left me with nice hole in the #7 cylinder. I only wish I would have taken video of the car in action prior. I feel like I owe this to Mad Dog, considering everything they did for me. As soon as this car is back on the road again, I will report back an update and hopefully some video of the transmission in action.
Thanks again,

Dan W.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brad_98_Z28
I joined here a little while ago and posted asking for help on a build for my 98 Z28. I got the car with some problems like every used car. I got some help from a few people who posted their builds on here. I have been upgrading my car little by little. Then the real problems. The trans went out on my car due to a 3600 stall torque converter fail and shot slivers through my STOCK 4l60E. I went to a few shops in town and they want anywhere from 1600 to 2500 depending on the hp its made to handle.

My car was a show car and was sponsored by zano (think this is misspelled) car polish and a few other companies from the previous owner. It still has the one of the stickers on it and the previous owner had tons of pic of the car in shows. The engine was stripped and all performance parts went back to stock. It still has some upgrades on the car and I am building it for street/strip and show.

Then I found Mad Dog transmissions. I understand I am rather new here, I haven't worked on many cars by myself. I have friends and family that help me with swapping parts and such. So I called Mad Dog Transmissions today. I spoke with Lou, I am looking at buying the big boy 4l60e. The level 4 rated up to 800 hp. I will be adding in the trans cooler (even though I already have one installed) and a 2400 stall torque converter. ALL PARTS FROM MAD DOG WILL BE INSTALLED!! by a local Transmission company.

With all this said I am going to order the level 4 trans and all the mad dog components offered with the trans. I will be taking pictures of the car before, during the install, after the install and will keep others informed on how it is holding up.

The reason for this post is NOT to give Mad Dog transmissions a good review, NOR is it to bash them in any way. I am a full time college student while working and on a budget. I have to save up for used 243 heads and a ls6 intake, (used I found the heads for around $300). I know how it is to not have money to throw down the drain. So THIS POST is made to inform people; I will show the receipt, Picks of how the trans comes in, Pick of the install and will get the people who put it in to give me a break down of what they did and post that. I will "Break-in" the trans before I get on it. I will post the upgrades done with picks and how the trans mission holds up.

Like I said this will be in no way a bash or praise on Mad Dog until we see what happens and how well the trans mission preforms. I feel that with getting all the parts from mad dog (trans, converter, cooler) and having it installed in a shop (transmission shop with great standings) will cover my *** in any way, shape, or form.

Well Lou I don't know if you remember talking to me on the phone today. My name is Brad Thompson and I am from Charleston SC. I asked you a bunch of questions about the transmission I was going to be ordering from you. All I can say is Good luck man. Lets see if all these posts you have made on here will hold up. I will be calling you tomorrow to order it.
this is Lou disguising himself to be a college student. i can just tell by the way the meddage is posted and the way he uses all caps everytime he mentions mad dog.what a freaking douchebag. all these people here that have anything positive to say about maddog have less than 100 posts. that means its problably one person trying to give good reviews on a crappy tranny just to drum up business.what a crook. i bought a 4l60e from him back in september of 2012. it didnt show up and he didnt return my calls. after i threatened to sue him, he calls saying he was really busy. well he finally shipped the tranny and i got it in march the following year. but it wasnt a 4l60e. he shipped me a freaking FWD tranny out of a chrysler new yorker!!!!!! i called him and told him it wouldnt fit. i explained how front wheel drive trannies are totally different from 4l60e. he argued with me and told me to at least try and see if it would fit my ls1 trans am.i ended up sueing him in small claims for $5000. after that io went to mad dogs shop and told the guy at the counter i was gonna kick lou's ***.right then i turned around and saw lou jump into his van and take off like a bat outa hell. oh well, ill catch up to him one day!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol If that's true he's really desperate. I'm not trying to say that I get a kick out of people's misfortunes, but I do use this thread as entertainment. How many chances do you get before you give it up. At some point you'd think that a person's integrity and morals would kick in....or at least lose some sleep over the people you've screwed over......then again, this thread is stiiiiillllllll going

Wolf in sheep's clothing everyone has figured it out hint hint
Old 07-19-2014, 06:46 PM

I see Lou is still spreading the love.

On (2- -14) I purchased a 4L60E on Ebay from a company called Maddog Transmissions. I paid instantly through PayPal and the transmission arrived at my shop approximately 10 days later. MDT claimed on the site that all transmissions were tested and put on a dyno before leaving their shop. When the transmission was pulled off the carrier (R&L Carriers) we immediately noticed the sound of something rolling around in the transmission. Before taking the Trans off the pallet I placed a call to MDT and was transferred to Elliot. Elliot told me there was no way that could happen unless it was the carriers mishandling of the unit, he said all units are tested before they leave the shop. I told him I was not going to install this unit with the sound of parts moving around in the pan. Elliot pleaded with me to remove the pan and assured me this would not void the warranty. I proceeded to remove the pan and I found two bolts that were never screwed in place. When I removed the pan I found something else that bothered me, a dry transmission. All parts appeared to be replaced and new seals, gaskets and everything was clean, but how do you dyno a transmission and keep it dry? I sent pictures to Elliot and Lou of the bolts and dry Trans and Lou confirmed the Transmission was never tested due to a problem with the dyno. I was asked to install the bolts, pan and the Trans and test it. I was hesitant to install the 60 given this is a labor intensive job, but none the less I thought everyone deserves a shot. I installed the Trans the very next day and filled the fluids and started the engine. After letting the fluid warm to temp and capping off the fluids I ran the selector through the gears to find I had no first and no drive. I pulled out the scanner and found some codes and called MDT. Lou told me given the code info he felt it was the wiring harness in the Trans had a short and could send me one at no cost if I could install it. At this time I’m very frustrated, but keep my composure and refused to work on a guaranteed/ warrantied item. Call MDT again and they said I needed to arrange shipment back to their shop @ Cummings Ga. After about a week R & L carriers arrived at my shop to pick up the transmission. I called MDT and talked with the owner Lou about the issues and wanted to make sure I got a quality Trans and did not want to go through this again. I told Lou I would pay extra for their top 4L60E if he would assure me it would not have any issues. I ended up upgrading on the phone and sending more cash through PayPal. Several days later I received their Level 4 4L60E that was rated at 800 hp. Installed the trans and it seemed to shift good and felt fine for about 15 hard runs then it started over shifting. The tune was set to shift at 5800 RPM in all gears and was hitting as high as 7200RPM on some runs do to slippage. I called MDT and was transferred to Elliot. Elliot told me I need to check out all the wiring that I may have a problem on my end. I assured him I didn’t have an issue on my end and the Transmission wasn’t doing this on every run. Elliot wanted me to change the Trans filter and fluid so I reluctantly did with no change. After another week of revving to the moon during shifts I decided to call again, Elliot wanted me to check to make sure my Trans cooler was not stopped up, so I did this and flow was fine. I then emailed my concerns to MDT wanting an acknowledgment and a written copy saying they would fix this issue. After about a week I finally got it in writing, they said they had been moving to a new shop in Cummings GA and this was the reason for no email replies. I then pulled the Trans and contacted R& L carriers to put another $166 bucks in their pockets to take the Trans back to MDT. I waited several days to get the repaired Trans back form MDT with Elliot’s word that it would be tested and ready to roll. I received the Trans on a Thursday and installed it that night (getting rather good at the install at this point). The truck was still sitting on the stand where I removed the other over shifting 60, no changes to anything. After warming the motor and Trans with fluids capped off I proceed to go through the gears, guess what?? I have no first gear and no drive, transmission number three is just like transmission number one. I rechecked everything, no codes this time, just missing these gears. Friday morning I called MDT and was transferred to Elliot again. Elliot got really loud and stated that I have an electrical issue and need to take my truck somewhere and get it checked out. I proceeded to tell him I’m not some young kid that you need to yell at, I’m 48 and have been building hotrods for 25+ years. He continued to tell me that the trans was tested so if there is a problem it’s mine and he’s pretty much done with me. I continued to try to talk sensible to him as he yelled. I asked him if I could ship this back and just have him send me a TH400, provided it would shift correctly I would no longer contact MDT. He said if I would put it in writing he would agree to that. I later received an email from their secretary stating I have had three transmissions with the same problem and all three were tested by MDT and wanted me to agree to that. I told them I would not agree to that as it was untrue and I have every email exchange that’s ever transpired between us and can prove all that I say. The following day Lou sent an email stating the transmission was not tested this time as well (he was truthful concerning the testing of his transmissions). After we worked out the exchange we shipped the Trans back to Cummings Ga through R&L carriers (Driver knows me by name as well as MDT if you know what I mean). The day I took the Trans out and put it in the bed of my personal vehicle it was raining, I had no way to cover the Trans and knew water would get in the Trans but had no choice. When the transmission arrived at MDT Elliot called me yelling at the top of his lungs stating he knew what had happened the transmission, that I had ruined it because my radiator was leaking into it. I assured him the fluid that came from Trans was perfect and the converter fluid was perfect and had only been driven a mile or less. This conversation went on for a while trying to place blame on me. After a few hours I received another irate call from Elliot telling me his builder said there was no way the water could have gotten in some of the areas by being in a rain storm. I assured him I drove 9 miles in some of the hardest rain I’ve been in for a while and I did not have any coolant leaks. I told them to test for ethylene glycol and he found any I’d eat the complete expense; his comeback was I was probably running straight water. I assured him this is my personal vehicle and I drive it everywhere and am very picky and do not run plane water ever. We agreed to proceed with the deal. After a week of calling I can only reach the secretary. Asked for Lou…..(not here) Asked for Elliot……..(not here) As for Dale…….(not here) and a few days later I finally reach Elliot. He assures me my new TH400 transmission is being built to replace the 60 and it will be sent out soon. I received an email from Jenifer saying the Trans will be sent out the following day finally on June 30th and then on another day 9 days later saying it will ship out. It’s 7/10/14 and I still don’t have a th400 to replace the 60. I’ve had 4 transmissions from MDT and only one has worked and that was for very few runs. I have been dealing with MDT and shipping transmissions for almost the complete year of 2014. I finally received the TH400 that Elliot was bragging about, the first lie was the converter was another stock 12” (every converter I ever got from them was stock dia and stock stall) Elliot had promised me a 10” ABP converter. I took the trans to a local shop to see if the parts fit the description of Lou’s add and guess what, it was a worn out piece of junk painted up to look real nice. If I had ran the Trans it would have broken just like the other 4. Anyone who continues to sell junk to a customer, who has been through this kind of trauma, does not classify as stand up guy. If Lou needs money this bad maybe he should get a real job. I know Lou will have his side of the story as I see his post on every forum, but I just wanted all my fellow builders and racers to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don’t purchase a Trans from this company. He has been reported to the BBB and has moved from state to state under different company names and still his reputation follows him. Thousands of dollars and many hrs wrenching on my truck and I should have a good Trans soon. It will have a Mad Dog case, but that’s about all.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally would never buy a trans from this guy. I read your post, well most of it anyway. The point being is that its a very credible read but if you want people to actually be able to get through it, space some of the chunks out in paragraphs its very cumbersome to read a solid block of text almost a page long
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
I personally would never buy a trans from this guy. I read your post, well most of it anyway. The point being is that its a very credible read but if you want people to actually be able to get through it, space some of the chunks out in paragraphs its very cumbersome to read a solid block of text almost a page long
This! It makes my eyes hurt just looking at it. TLDR
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
This! It makes my eyes hurt just looking at it. TLDR
+1000.
You should edit your paragraph in all the threads you posted.
This is very valuable information that everyone needs to read - easily. You should even bold some of the parts.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by redbird555
Sorry, should have thought of that, but I was very mad and wanted everyone to know about these guys.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by LSBoost
Sorry, should have thought of that, but I was very mad and wanted everyone to know about these guys.
Just go back and use the [Edit] button.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

No personal experience.. But my friend was haggling with this guy for months before he just decided to eat the money he spend and go performabuilt.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mavn
No personal experience.. But my friend was haggling with this guy for months before he just decided to eat the money he spend and go performabuilt.
If possible, try to post a detailed story. Have your friend write it and you can post it.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

So mad dog banned now? No more "platinum sponsor" bullshit eh??
Old 10-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Very interesting!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
So mad dog banned now? No more "platinum sponsor" bullshit eh??
I think it happens automatically whenever you stop paying your sponsorship fees. I don't think he was banned for anything offensive or wrong, but more than likely realized the feedback he was getting on here was not positive and elected to not waste the money.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Gee, I was wondering how long it would take for whoever was making that decision to decide it wasn't worth it. However, some former vendors still say former vendor under their name for whatever reason.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Gee, I was wondering how long it would take for whoever was making that decision to decide it wasn't worth it. However, some former vendors still say former vendor under their name for whatever reason.
This is purely speculation, but I assumed it was because the banned members simply just stopped paying while the "former vendors" were the ones who notified IB ahead of time that they were planning to quit. I could totally be wrong though.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I always wondered why he tried so hard for people to like him here when he seemed doomed from the get go.....

Quick Reply: Mad Dog Transmissions!