Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster 4L60E Rebuild ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster 4L60E Rebuild ??

Installed rebuild kit & reverse and neutral are backwards. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There is no possible mis-assembly of the trans that would switch Reverse and Neutral. Therefore, I suspect your linkage is off - what you think is Neutral is really Park.

If that really is not it, please explain what "installed rebuild kit" means - did you personally rebuild the entire transmission?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I installed the monster full rebuild kit myself. The linkage is right I'm guessing cause when in park the driveshaft will not move but when u go to reverse its really in neutral and when u go to neutral it's really reverse. Then when u go to overdrive its in forward gear. Havent driving yet to see if it shift proper or if all the lower gears r correct or not. Didn't wanna drive before I resolved this problem first.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Please confirm then that your testing was done with the rear on jackstands and you started the engine and ran the trans through the gears. Also that you checked the oil level.
I realize my question here sounds really stupid, but this is a strange problem.
Reverse has a relatively distinct and separate hydraulic circuit which can only be fed when the Manual Valve (moved by the shifter) is in a precise location.
Here is a thought - there is a link between the shifter shaft on the case and the Manual Valve in the valve body. If that got bent, it might be possible for the shifter shaft to put the trans into Park and put the Valve body into Neutral, giving you those symptoms. I have heard about people forgetting to install this link as they install the valve body, and then bending it later attempting to install it and messing everything up.
I am kinda grasping at straws here.
Perhaps a more experienced builder has the answer?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Yes I tested it on jack stands and in park the driveshaft won't move so I'm guessing it's in park. When the engine is started in reverse it's neutral and when in neutral it's reverse. So I'm not sure what's going on. I called monster still waiting on a call back from the tech. It's got me thrown for a loop cause everyone I've talked to says they have never heard of this happening before. So I'm guessing it's gotta be in the valve body somewhere?

Quick Reply: Monster 4L60E Rebuild ??