Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutches going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutches going out?

Hello all, I have a 96 T/A with a 4l60e and a 3200 stall. Over the past few days I've noticed that when i give it any sort of gas (say 3/4 throttle) I hear and feel a vibration under the car, which I initially assumed was drivetrain slop due to bad u-joints. Well I don't think it's a u-joint anymore. Yesterday I punched it on the highway and the transmission would not shift into the next gear (prob 3rd). Instead it just bounced off the rev limiter until I let off the gas and drove it normally. The worst part is, shortly after I did this i smelled burning fluid. I got home and checked the fluid and it definitely smells a little burned and has a blackish red color.

Under normal driving conditions, the transmission shifts fine. It only has problems at WOT. Also, before anybody asks it does have a good transmission cooler and a tci deep pan to keep it cool. The speedometer works, so I doubt it's a VSS, and the TPS was replaced last year and seems to work alright. The car was tuned about two years ago, but no problems with the shifting until now. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

-Jake