Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY TC install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY TC install

who has done thier own TC install? how tough is it? I'm fairly mechanicaly inclined, but really have never worked with transmissions before, what am I gettin myself into? are there any write-ups online?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am almost done with mine and am not very happy. The converter that i got from TCI came with bolts for the flywheel to the converter and they do not work, "oh what about the stock ones?", nah, they don't work either. So im in the middle of trying to find bolts that will work and am not having a good time doing that either. But other than the flywheel to converter bolts it wasn't really hard at all. There is an excellent write up at www.modernmusclecars.net that has really helped me out. So if you do plan on doing this yourself, definetly check that site out, and good luck!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

The TC install is a pain but it's definitely possible to do on stands in your garage. TIP:Budget more time than you think it will take.You will hit some snags if you don't do this kind of thing regularly.

You'll need around 36+ inches of 3/8ths extensions and a 3/8ths drive 13mm swivel socket to help prevent you from wanting to kick the car off the jack stands. There are 8 bolts holding the trans to the engine.There are also 2 pins. Soak the pins with spray lubricant days in advance. Separating the trans from the egine was easily the most time consuming step of the install for me.

Wear gloves when you take the 8mm socket head cap screws (I'm pretty sure they're 8mm) out that hold the converter to the flexplate! I still have wounds healing on my hands from this. You will need an 8mm hex key for your 3/8ths drive to get these out in an efficient manner.

When you get the new converter on you will get 3 engagement "clicks" as you spin it onto the trans. It might take alot of spinning and time before it happens but it needs to happen.

Check that the converter is seated properly by using the method noted on the TC install page at www.modernmusclecars.net

If you have a 98' F-Car you'll need to trim away some of the inspection cover to get a socket on the 15mm bolts for the starter. If you have a later year you should have 13mm bolts on the starter and it shouldn't be a problem.

I used the above mentioned guide to help me get mine installed.It helps.

Get a friend to help you. I tried swinging the trans around by myself and it sucks.

What is it about your TCI bolts that will not work?

They should be 7/16 bolts and you will need to open up one of the flexplate holes. While I did not use the TCI bolts provided I did check them and they fit just fine.

I used ARP bolts for my converter install.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At first i thought that the bolts wouldn't go through the flex plate. I checked the bolt in all 3 of the holes before i realized that it wasn't the flexplate that was holding me up, they wouldn't go into the converter. So i tried my stock ones and they seemed to be working fine until they got to almost 30 ft/lbs and then stripped out. So i am now deciding on what to do. I am not totally sure if the holes stripped all the way out so i am going to try the bolts again, if that doesn't work i guess that i am going to have to retap the holes. I am also wondering why TCI sent me 2 packs of the same bolts, no threadlock (which i hear that other people got with their converters), and no instructions that stated that i might have to drill out the flexplate????
Old 04-14-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

I assume they do this because they figure people who are going to install their own converters would know this stuff. This isn't a safe assumtion in my opinion.

Your stock bolts stripped out of the TC because they are M10x1.5 metric fasteners. Your TC is tapped for 7/16x20 SAE fasteners.

Do not try the bolts again! You will have a 30lb item spinning at 6,000+ RPM right by your feet. If it comes loose it could cripple you.

I too had problem running my bolts in. Partially because of some burrs on the threads and partially because of paint on the converter. I cleaned up the threads and paint and moved on.

I suggest you either A) Retap for a larger size fastener or B) Contact TCI concerning returning the converter for service. Your call ultimately but I would say go with option B at this point.

I received 3 bolts: I didn't use them
No threadlock: I have 6 different types in my chemicals cabinet
No instructions to drill the flexplate: I figured it was neccessary as they woudln't fit unless this was done

I hate to say it because I know where your coming from with your comments but this type of stuff comes with modifying cars. Some it bothers others it doesn't. The companies won't know unless people who have problems tell them in a constructive manner.

I think TCI could save alot of people headaches by including some instructions and making sure everyone receives the same "stuff" in their box.

I'll contact Kevin Winstead w/TCI and see if he can take a look at this thread.

Last edited by lerajie; 04-14-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i really appreciate the help, but no need to contact kevin. The bolts that came with it finally went in after i trimmed about 1/8 inch off of the bolt. It was a little too long and was pressed against the oil pan when i tried to start the thread. An d when i say that those things are in there, i mean that they are IN there. I had a friend who has way more experience with cars than i do come up and take a look at it. He suggested trimming the bolts, i did, and they went right in. I really do appreciate all of the help, i just need to stop posting threads five minutes after i get done trying (and failing) to do something. I've known that this is a great site with a ton of people willing to help, but now i know just how valuable the info is. thanks again!