Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E No 4th or Reverse? No warning.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60E No 4th or Reverse? No warning.

OK, so I stopped at light and went to take off and car rpms jumped over 4,000 with very slow shift and then shifted abruptly , but would not shift into 4th gear. Almost like I was taking of in second gear. The closer I got to home, the worse it got. Absolutely no reverse. You can hear something winding in trans but only if you put it in reverse. Fluid is good, not burned and is at correct fluid levels. Any ideas of what I should be checking right away?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by frack
OK, so I stopped at light and went to take off and car rpms jumped over 4,000 with very slow shift and then shifted abruptly , but would not shift into 4th gear. Almost like I was taking of in second gear. The closer I got to home, the worse it got. Absolutely no reverse. You can hear something winding in trans but only if you put it in reverse. Fluid is good, not burned and is at correct fluid levels. Any ideas of what I should be checking right away?
This sounds like a broken sun shell. I think more experienced people here can confirm that. If true, the trans has to be pulled and rebuilt. GM strengthened the sun shell in 2002 and either that or a stronger aftermarket sun shell will be used in the rebuild.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 on the bench right now with same exact issue.. One has a stripped sunshell thats in the scap bin already and I'm about certain the other one does too but will find out in the morning for sure....

Quick Reply: 4l60E No 4th or Reverse? No warning.