Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 trans brake problem !

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80 trans brake problem !

Got a fresh 4L80 with Rossler trans brake(gen 2 I think,deep pan) hasnt worked since I got it. Had the trans out 3 times,last time all the way down to the bare housing(had a lazy reverse,thought that may be the issue). Found reverse servo cover(accumalator,Im no trans guy) bolts loose(less than finger tight) this time as well as loose valve body bolts.Dont ask,dont know why,it is what it is.Clutches looked good,band good,air check apply reverse ok. Solenoid for t-brake clicks when button pushed,verified in car,pan off.
Put back together,new VB gasket,reverse much better,Tried D3,bring revs up and hold button for 3 sec,still nothing.Almost time to call Jakes and swap this out,getting tired of pulling this apart. Anybody have a Rossler 80 t-brake and had this issue ? I feel like I am missing something obvious,damn its frustrating !
Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The loose servo cover bolts would cause the lazy reverse and possibly no transbrake or weak brake.

The Rossler brake is a proven design and for it to not work is unusual, it just releases slow in my experience.

Fix the obvious issues, look on my website for rear band/servo clearance setup, and maybe blow some air into the various ports on the Rossler block while activating the solenoid.
I've never really looked at how his works but I assume he has a spool valve in the block that shuttles to activate. Maybe make sure that moves freely.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

There was a spool valve in the block,it was free.Just got the trans back in tonight again,will try tomorrow and I may give you a call.Thanks for the quick reply,I REALLY appreciate it !
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

We had an issue with a Rossler trans brake a few years ago and we ended up finding out that the pressure switch on the side of the block was leaking. After replacing the switch, the trans brake worked they way it was designed to.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Well,same story,NO trans brake.Reverse much better,tried in D3 and D1,no worky. Can still hear solenoid click when I hit the button,Rossler closed for the day.Gonna order a pressure sensor switch for it from them Monday,dont know what else could be wrong.Damn frustrating,should have left it out !
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

What's the history of this trans? Obviously there have been some build issues.

I know the Rossler brake uses it's own separator plate, so that needs to be matched up.
I installed one years ago but my memory of all the pieces is pretty vague.

You might pull the brake assy off and do some air checking to check the function.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
What's the history of this trans? Obviously there have been some build issues.

I know the Rossler brake uses it's own separator plate, so that needs to be matched up.
I installed one years ago but my memory of all the pieces is pretty vague.

You might pull the brake assy off and do some air checking to check the function.
Bought from a unfinished build,never had fluid in it.Assembled by a name shop,the loose bolts on the VB and accumalator are a surprise to me,but stuff happens.Tried to call you today,got your answering machine both times(out of the shop,today on the 26th ) Drove it to work this morning,damn thing was stuck in limp mode.Dropped the pan,my guy forgot to plug the pressure manifold back in DUH ! Tried it again,still no brake.I give.I am positive,if the Rossler kit came with a sep plate,it was installed,this trans has all the good stuff in it already. Hell,when I talk to Rossler,monday,I will order another plate,just to be safe.Trans drives good,now,still have to fine tune the shift points. PM me,if you would,I would like to discuss this with you and will be happy to pay going shop rate for a bit of your time.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by highpockets
Bought from a unfinished build,never had fluid in it.Assembled by a name shop,the loose bolts on the VB and accumalator are a surprise to me,but stuff happens.Tried to call you today,got your answering machine both times(out of the shop,today on the 26th ) Drove it to work this morning,damn thing was stuck in limp mode.Dropped the pan,my guy forgot to plug the pressure manifold back in DUH ! Tried it again,still no brake.I give.I am positive,if the Rossler kit came with a sep plate,it was installed,this trans has all the good stuff in it already. Hell,when I talk to Rossler,monday,I will order another plate,just to be safe.Trans drives good,now,still have to fine tune the shift points. PM me,if you would,I would like to discuss this with you and will be happy to pay going shop rate for a bit of your time.
We've been super busy at the shop, besides some scammer stealing over $5K worth of product this last week. I need to update the shop message. We have 4 lines at the shop and they are often all busy, especially on Mondays and Fridays. Best thing to do is leave a message or send an email (or both).

I would have to see the whole valve body assy to do you any real good. Carl would know the product better than anybody, so I would definitely call him first and see what he suggests. If he can't fix you up I can take a look at it.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I bought a Rossler brake off here and had it installed, then no brake, the trans guy called Carl and spoke with him come to find out it was the seperater plate. Carl's customer service was great.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 383lt1ta
I bought a Rossler brake off here and had it installed, then no brake, the trans guy called Carl and spoke with him come to find out it was the seperater plate. Carl's customer service was great.
Yep,outstanding CS ! Spoke with a fellow at Rossler Tues. He talked it over with me for a few,got some details then got Carl on the phone.He proceeded to ask a few specific questions,and said if I continue to have any problems(after checking a couple other things) send it in and he will personally check it out for me. NOTE: I did NOT buy this from them,it was in no way their problem however they have been very helpful in resolving this issue. Hope to have it all sorted out for the next TNT,havent run this car since my buddy died at the track.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We buy a lot of trans brakes from Carl Rossler excellent products. Awesome customer service every time. Sorry to hear about your buddy.

You can call us and talk to a live person. Up until 10 PM Eastern standard time , Monday through Sunday.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969 maddoglou454@aol.com
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 383lt1ta
Carl explained which plate I should have,I suspect the wrong one was installed by mistake in my trans(had a couple torn apart on the bench at the same time,DUH ) ! Will find out this weekend,gotta hit the track soon before the DA goes to the moon ! Thanks guys for ALL the help and suggestions !

Quick Reply: 4L80 trans brake problem !