Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help

hey guys i'm new here so if I posted this in the wrong section just let me know. I've got a 98 bird v6 and it wouldn't hold idle today when I started it up without my foot on the gas. I took her to Autozone to get my codes read and got 6 different codes so bear with me.
p1404-egr stuck open
p0404- egr fault
p0154-o2 circuit, bank 2 sensor 1
p0155-o2 heater condition, bank 2 sensor 1
p1153- heated o2 sensor insufficient switching bank 2 sensor 1
p1870- trans slip in 4th gear with tcc engaged

now I have a feeling replacing my o2 sensors will fix at least half that, and the egr I can clean but do you guys have any idea which of those would cause my problem above. also when I gave it gas the keep it going the voltage would fluctuate with the amount of pressure I put on the pedal. and last but not least the trans. I know most of you will push for a rebuild but i'm more interested in your opinion of a transgo shift kit I've heard fixes this. thanks guys
Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

I cannot address your idle problem, although it likely will be solved once all the non-trans codes are fixed.
With an older stock trans and a V6 I would not recommend a full shift kit. All you need a "Fitxall 1870 fix valve" like this:

http://hptransparts.com/techpak-fitz...0-a74741q.html

You will need to remove the valve body, which often means new separator plate gaskets, sometimes a new separator plate, new check ***** in case you lose one, vaseline to hold check ***** during assembly, and extra care to install the different length valve body bolts in the CORRECT location.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Ok cool I'm slightly familiar with the shift kits but had not heard of this before. How hard would it be to install one of these? An average guy fix or not so much? Also any particular reason why you would suggest this over the kit?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

The boost valve is very easy to install - you only need to drop the pan and maybe the filter.
On the front of the trans is the pump. Inserted into the driver's side of the pump is the boost valve. Remove the old one with snap ring pliers and install the new one the same way. Here is the part you want with directions:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...LB1-LB2-IN.pdf

Installing a full shift kit is much more complex and error prone. Just the boost valve will tighten your shifts and reduce slippage. If you do decide to go shift kit, the ONLY ones to consider are the Transgo HD2 and Sonnax Performance Pack. If you get either, you don't need the 1870 fix valve.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks I appreciate it. I think I'll definately go with the 1870 fix valve then as it sounds like what is best for my car at the moment. Thanks for the insight

Quick Reply: Newbie help