Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 issue, appears no 3rd or 4th gear, need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 4l80 issue, appears no 3rd or 4th gear, need help!!

Hi guys,

I have a complete new build that I have probably ~100 miles on so far. Here is what I have

00 Z28
turbo setup
4l80e
Stock 411 pcm
PSI standalone harness
Circle D Billet ~3200 converter
3.27 rear

After the car was finally together I had it tuned. On the dyno, the tuner stated that he was trying to command the car into 3rd but it would not go. After I brought it home, I drove it around and I thought it may be shifting into third buy not OD.

Basically, I do not have a way to scan what's going on and it appears to be that what i'm thinking is third or fourth may possibly just be lockup in 2nd gear (if that's possible?). It definitely has a 1st to 2nd shift, but I can't tell 3rd from lockup. It drives fine around town, but when i'm on the highway it's spinning ~3000 to 3500 rpm at 60mph or so.

I'm definitely open to taking it somewhere in the Chicagoland area to have it looked over, but I would need someone who would be able to diagnose whether it's the trans, wiring or pcm.

Any thoughts? All help is always appreciated!!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

No one?

I's sad now, I must cry
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Without a scanner you're wasting your time to try to diagnose it. You could do it, but it would cost you more in wiring, connectors, LEDs, and time thant it would cost to buy a scanning program for your laptop.

If you are going to attempt to repair modern electronically controlled cars you have to buy the tools.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Without a scanner you're wasting your time to try to diagnose it. You could do it, but it would cost you more in wiring, connectors, LEDs, and time thant it would cost to buy a scanning program for your laptop.

If you are going to attempt to repair modern electronically controlled cars you have to buy the tools.
That's kinda what I was saying in my post, I don't have a way to scan, but I am willing to take it somewhere if they could handle all pieces of troubleshooting (trans/computer/etc.).

I do have one of your 1st gear transbrakes in it and that worked fine at the track and it comes up on the brake and 2-step decent (need to tune it to come up on boost a bit sooner).

Thanks,
Josh

Quick Reply: 4l80 issue, appears no 3rd or 4th gear, need help!!