Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converted from M6 to A4, do you think the PCM needs tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 01:27 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converted from M6 to A4, do you think the PCM needs tuning?

I went with a non-computered controlled tranny (200-4R), but was just wondering if it still needed any kind of tuning. The only thing that Ive done with the computer is deleted various things that went with the 6 speed. (skip shift, etc. etc.) I still have the 6 speed PCM, but was just wondering if this setup in any way is hurting the performance. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I am thinking about doing the same thing. DId you pick up much going from the 6 spd?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Wondering same thing. I just ordered by TH400 (with stall) and all the goodies from MadMan. He has the complete swap kit.

I also am going with a manual, reverse patern. I can't imagine what needs to be changed - except possible speedo - but I don't care about that, the 1/4 mph time slip will tell me what I want to know.

Hoping to be ready in 2-3 weeks. Track times will follow. 6 T-56 trannies was enough for me. Just couldn't do another "upgrade" only to have it fail.

David
Old 05-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your new tranny has the electronic VSS, your speedometer will probably not work right or at all without programming. It is supposed to operate off the VSS near the tailshaft of the tranny, which tells the computer how fast you are going, etc... The computer will be expecting something like 17 pulses per revolution since it is programmed for a m6, whereas the auto will make about 42 pulses per revolution, or at least that is the case for 4L60E's. This will cause the speedo to read like 100mph when you are doing 40ish, assuming you even have it hooked up. If the speed sensor gear in that tranny has a different pulse rate than either the T56 or the 4L60E then it could be off by a different amount...

If you have the "mechanical" version of the speed sensor, like the one in most fbodies from the late 80's back, you won't be able to hook that up to your 4th gen gauge pod at all...
Old 05-06-2004, 12:54 AM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone have an answer for my question? It seems that my thread has been hi-jacked. Im just wondering by any chance if any of this setup is affecting something or another which is affecting the PCM, resulting in performance loss. Thanks.