Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e LT1 tranny into LS1 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4l60e LT1 tranny into LS1 problems

I am trying to get a 4L60e from a 97 on a 99 LS1. I am using the advanced adapters kit with the spacer and flywheel for the old style converter bolt spacing.

Hooked up the engine and tranny outside the car but did not do the flywheel bolts. Got everything in the car and went to do the flywheel to converter bolts and converter would not budge. I'm used to having a bit of space between them and you can spin the converter to line up the first bolt and turning the motor to line up the others for tightening. I've used spacers with the bolts before when there was too much room but never had it tight so you can't move it. I think the spacer in the crankshaft is snug on the converter and not allowing it to move.

So I loosened all of the bolts (5 in the conversion) and moved the tranny away from the engine maybe a 1/4 of an inch and its free. I'm going to confirm its seated but then line up a bolt and start it then tighten the tranny to block bolts. then tightening the one flywheel bolt and turn it like I normally would.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for any input. Converter is stock LT1 as far as I know.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 399 Likes on 305 Posts

I suspect the converter is not fully seated. I don't know what the measurements are with an LT1 converter and LT-compatible bell housing, but I suspect that with a straight edge over the bell housing, the converter pads should be a full inch away. (With an LS-compatible 4L60E the distance is 1-1/8".) If the converter was not seated and you fully tightened the bell housing, there is a good chance you damaged the pump in the trans.

Other than knowing it exists, I am not familiar with the "advanced adapter kit". It is quite a "kludge" so follow the directions carefully.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah you maybe right. I did the turn until it clunks in and clicks but then it was kind of a bear getting it together. Its either that or my adapter kit isn't so advance.

I'm going to try to mess with it again in the morning but it might be time to open the check book for a T56...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Make the measurement and post it. IIRC, I saw that the TH350, 4L60E and perhaps other GM trans all have 1-1/8" from the converter pads to the bell housing edge.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Will pull it in the morning and take the measurement. There no way to check the pump with it just out is there?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Try to take the measurement before you remove the converter; this will help us "worry" about the right things.

Use a flashlight to look inside the trans around the input shaft. The pump has two "tangs"; if either is broken you are SOL. Stick a smallish screwdriver in there and turn the pump by pushing against a tang; it should turn pretty easily.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks! Will do!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I have a little less than an inch'. I took the converter off and tries to get it in further but not happening'. Two tangs looked fine. I think Im screwed. I don't know how I'm going to get the spacer out of the crankshaft!

Quick Reply: 4l60e LT1 tranny into LS1 problems