Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help picking tranny asap please

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need help picking tranny asap please

hello all, basic background is its a 79 vette, used to have a mild 383 stroker and a basic 700r4 tranny in it, old motor and tranny were pulled and now i have a brand new 383 stroker pushing 470hp at the flywheel on its way and i need a tranny to mate it up to. i dont go to the strip that often maybe a few times a month, and mostly if i do end up racing its on the highway from a low/high roll, but i do dig race every now and then. i have a tranny company i can go with and get a racing 700r4 built for 1200 to handle 650 horse ( in case i want to spray in the future) but my main concern is the gear ratios of the 700r4, the 1-2 shift from what i here robs alot of power and takes the engine time to recover from the drop. i do not want to go with a th350 or th400 i want an overdrive gear but i dont want a tranny that will rob me of my motors power and give me low performance. any suggestions to help my situation out? i heard doing 3.73's and a 3000 stall compensate for the 700r4's 1-2 gear drop but id like to hear from some experts. or someone to reccommend a much better tranny choice. would it be possible to put an electronic tranny like the 4l60e or 4l80e that have much better gear ratios in a carberated non-computer controlled car? input needed asap as my motor will be here soon and i need to order a tranny to push it. thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get transmission controllers for the electronically controlled transmissions for cars that can't operate one within the PCM or ECU. However, lower rear gear (higher numerically) will help things as well as a proper torque converter. Having those things sorted out for your application will take care of that.

Extreme Automatics deals with 2004r those are non electronic and have overdrive. You can also look up Speedtigger, he is using one of Lonnies (Extreme Automatics) 2004rs in his Buick carbed LS swap. PM him if you want, or check out his build thread. I'm sure he would help you if he could.

Make sure you have the specifics about you combination like cam specs, how much the car weights, how you prefer the car to behave and drive and talk to some converter guys too. I think your on the right track. Hammer out the details with someone good that you trust and the car will drive great IMO any maybe wouldn't have to change transmissions.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 12-15-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you want a 200-4r.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

A 4L60E has the same ratios as the 700R4.
A 4L80E might not fit your car and is overkill at that power level.

A 3.42/3.73 rear with a 3600 stall will keep the engine in its power band.
A 200R4 has the ratios you might prefer.

Quick Reply: need help picking tranny asap please