Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie!! help me pick out a converter!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default newbie!! help me pick out a converter!!

hey guys
im in the parts gathering stage of doing my 80E swap in my caddy and im flat out lost on all this converter talk.
car spces

04 cts-v(4000#s)
99 lq4 w/prc2.5 317s (72cc chamber)should be around 8.5-1 comp
tsp 224/224r cam 115lsa
LT headers
80e w/transgo HD-2 shift kit
twin billet 5858pte turbos (t3 .82 ex housings) very responsive (14lbs ish)
rear gears 4:10s with a 28" tire (might have to tame that gear down some)
power goal 650-700

the car will be my DD so i need the best of both worlds here.
i will do alot more roll racing then time at the strip
i know i dont want to have to rev the car to the moon just to get it to move but still fast and fun to drive.
i have been reading post on here and around. i hear people say thngs like tighte, looseconverter, shift extention, stall, flash, and so on. and i just dont know what they are talking about
i guess i just dont know were to start here.
help me out guys
help me
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My explanation of loose vs tight. 2 converters both flash at 3500. One you can footbreak only to 2500 - tight. The other you can footbreak to 3000 - looser. This can be achieved with different stator choices. For most street cars we like to see a tight converter, so at light throttle the car will move easily. On a turbo setup we lean a little more to a looser converter, so you can build some boost on the footbreak. Since you are roll racing, I think we can get away with a little tighter converter since you are already up there in RPMs and boost. Shift extensions or shift drop is the RPM drop you see on a gear change, meaning you shift into 3rd at 6700 RPM and it drops back to 5700 RPM, or a 1K shift drop. Since you are mostly a street car I would lean 1000-1500 range, to achieve a smaller RPM drop we have to use a looser converter and that is not needed on a turbo setup. You also have the single vs multi debate, basically do you want to be able to lock it up at WOT. This means you can bring on the clutch while you are racing. I like to use a multi in a turbo setup, we typically see some ET and MPH gains. But since you are mostly a street car might be a little overkill. Anyways... Some food for though.

Chris
Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to add that a torque converter for a turbo car is the hardest to get perfect. Not uncommon to install a converter and after some time behind the wheel want to have the converter tweeked.

Quick Reply: newbie!! help me pick out a converter!!