Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e problems HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e problems HELP!

Hi
I'm new today to the forum, I've been looking around and can't find anything. Here's the problem. The tranny shifts fine through all 4 gears at 3 quarter throttle and less. At full it won't shift till about 6th 6.5k rpm and it shifts kinda hard. Also if I'm in 2nd gear and I gun it, it will stall for a second then a huge thump noise happens in the tranny before taking off...? I'm not very experienced with transmissions so I need help guys! Thanks!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if anyone can help you with that description and almost no info on your car. If it is bone stock, then obviously, you have a problem. But one thing to consider is whether this car has had a gear change, a stall converter, and/or tuning to the transmission tables in the computer. There is a different table for the wide open throttle shifting, and if it is adjusted wrong, it can rev too high before completing the shift. If it is revving to 6.5k, then someone has altered the rev limit, so it is more likely they did some other programming in there. And you should check your transmission mount to see if that is broken loose, although I think there should be some evidence of that banging in the other gears too.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying. I bought it from a guy I really think someone before altered the the shift points. It seem that if the engines I running at such high rpms that the transmission isn't ready, or built for it. I know for sure I don't have a stall converter. When it's cold it's shifts hard at wide open throttle.

1997 30th Z28 A4, CAI, full exhaust installed this week!

Quick Reply: 4l60e problems HELP!