Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patc converters any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Patc converters any good?

Considering getting a new converter for my 700r4. Current one slips under load. Seen they have a converter that is rated for 550 hp and has a bigger lock up clutch in it. Any one ever used one?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

My buddy used their converter in a 12v Dodge Diesel and it seemed like a good unit.

I would still call Chris at Circle D and give him a shot.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Received 397 Likes on 304 Posts

Sponsors Circle-D, FTI and Yank make excellent converters, provide outstanding "content" for the money, and custom build each converter to the needs of each customer.
A few non-sponsors like PTC are also highly regarded.
So, why consider an "unknown" converter from a company that has never spend a dollar of sponsorship here and has never answered a forum question.

I suspect they are just rebuilders of factor converters and don't actually design and build them from scratch like the sponsors.
Correction: this might not be true - see below.

Last edited by mrvedit; 01-20-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Correction of facts.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replays. I will be going with circle d.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I suspect they are just rebuilders of factor converters and don't actually design and build them from scratch like the sponsors.
Actually...they do.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by vwdave
Actually...they do.
Thank you for the correction; I added a correction to my post above.
Nonetheless, I support the sponsors that not only make this forum possible, but especially those that regularly (even daily) answer questions and share their knowledge with us.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Thank you for the correction; I added a correction to my post above.
Nonetheless, I support the sponsors that not only make this forum possible, but especially those that regularly (even daily) answer questions and share their knowledge with us.
Two points, one I hate this line of thinking. We can argue all day what came first the chicken or the egg, however, the root of ANY forum, or lets be honest, advertising is the fact that it reaches X number of eyes. So, the members are why the forum is here, at the root level. The sponsors are here to make money, and some, not all, choose to help members along the way. I appreciate those sponsors for helping keep this hobby alive.

Two, is this guy talking about PTC or PATC? PATC is local to me, I know a couple guys that work there (never seen the place in person) but they seem to be very dedicated to making a good converter. Whether it is or not I don't know first hand, but they may be worth looking into. They probably aren't as big of an outfit as some of the others though, whether you see that as good or bad.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Two points, one I hate this line of thinking....
Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. I assume it is that the forum should discuss and find the best products, regardless of whether they come from a sponsor. For the many non-members that only find a thread through Google, that is probably true. Since you are one of the very few with 18,000+ posts, I try to follow your lead on forum etiquette.

Nonetheless, I would personally prefer to buy a product that was only "2nd best" if the company gave much better support than the company that had the best product. And I truly appreciate the sponsors like Circle-D and Jake Performance that share their tremendous knowledge nearly every day, and from which I learn a lot. I am CERTAINLY not implying that Circle-D or Jake Performance are anything other than the very best. Due to how much they have taught me via their posts and knowing they give exceptional service, I will buy my next converter from Circle-D and if/when I need a 4L80E, it will come from Jake Performance.

Since I know that a lot of people find posts through Google and might not read the entire thread, I quickly correct any known mistakes in my earlier posts, as it appears I did with PATC converters.

Respectfully, Ted.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a patc converter in my 47re dodge trans in my 2000 24v cummins and have no issues, and have a patc converter in my ford AOD but have not ran the car yet. great guys to deal with and always have deals on converter and rebuild packages,
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Check to see if they use the stock converter as the basis or a billet cover with an upgraded clutch. 550HP out of a stock clutch is a bit of a stretch.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I believe they have both.

Quick Reply: Patc converters any good?