Sponsored by:

Transmission Pump Damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Pump Damaged?

2000 Camaro SS, A4 with ASR:
I think I may have damaged my transmission pump last night. On my way home late last night, decided to launch the camaro onto interstate to let off some steam from a super crappy day. Transmission felt liked it kind of slipped right after I started to lay down some rubber. I let off the gas, it shifted fine then, but a terrible whining noise started. It corresponded with acceleration, deceleration and did it in park above 1,500 rpm right after I got home. I shut it off, let it cool down for a bit, car was still warm when started again, but didn't hear whining that time when revved in park. The whining was definitely not coming from the engine area. It was very loud from underneath the car.

Does that sound like a transmission pump problem or something else? What tests can I do to pinpoint the issue? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the pump but my guess from your description would be the sprag is starting to give up. Check your pressure with a gauge. If you dont have a gauge any local trans shop can do this for you for a minimal price.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

A lot of parts are spinning in the trans even in Park, in particular the input drum is spinning. With car in drive and stopped, only the pump is turning, nothing else. That might help pinpoint the problem. I have not heard of a forward sprag making such a noise, but mantycarguy has 100x my experience. In any case, it sounds like (bad pun intended) like the trans will have to come out for a rebuild. Whether its the pump, sprag or a bearing, it likely will rapidly get worse until it fails completely.
Sorry to make a crappy day even crappier. You should have just stayed in bed.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, thanks for the pun. First laugh I've had since yesterday morning. :-) I've noticed things go bad rapidly on these cars. Unlike my 94 grand am (old rusty) that refuses to die no matter how much I neglect it.

So if the pressure test is good on the pump, then it's likely the sprag, which would end up meaning a full transmission rebuild? If that's the case, would it be better to just replace the transmission? Never done a transmission rebuild, so I'm not sure on the difficulty level. I don't want a rebuild to take all summer either, yet, I don't trust most mechanics in this area to do a quality job. :-/
Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Low fluid can also give trouble especially on high-G activity
where it may slosh away from the pickup. Pump related in
a very remote sense....
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

I discourage people from trying their own trans rebuild unless they don't mind buying the special tools, have the time and really want to learn the process. Even when carefully done, the first-time success rate is only around 50%. It is easy to put in parts upside down, leave out an o-ring, cut a seal, miss noticing a crack, etc.

Sponsor FLT builds top-quality transmissions and is "relatively" close to you in Chicago. I also know a non-sponsor rebuilder in Duluth MN.

Quick Reply: Transmission Pump Damaged?