Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a triple disc circle D converter actually a twin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a triple disc circle D converter actually a twin?

I was looking at buying a circle D triple disc 4000 stall converter off the classidieds. Is a triple disc 2 clutch discs with a steel in the middle? I make about 550rwtq NA and 750rwtq on the bottle. I was thinking I wanted a twin but a triple might be overkill. Would this be a good choice or should I just have one built.

Last edited by dtroike; 07-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The Circle-D triple discs we've cut apart have had 3 clutch surfaces, so they are in fact a triple disc.

I usually recommend buying a converter specific to your application, but you could call C-D and see if the one you've found will match up. I caution against using a used converter without having it cut/cleaned.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

OK good to know. How many clutch surfaces does a single disk have? I have never seen the inside of one. I am just picturing something like a wet clutch on a motorcycle where each disk has a surface on both sides.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Single disc has one.

Here's a single disc billet cover and piston with clutch material shown.

A triple disc would usually have a two sided plate that goes against the cover, an intermediate plate that splines into the cover, and the piston would be similar to the one shown with a friction surface bonded to it.

Last edited by Jake's Performance; 07-15-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Jake mentioned, our multi-disk is a 3 clutch setup with 2 steels. Every friction surface in a converter counts a one, where a double sided friction in a trans is referred to as one clutch. It can be confusing, good question for the OP. It stems from the OE single disk converter, you have a piston like Jake showed and it has one lining. They way our clutch pack is setup has to be in odd numbers, 1 3 or 5 - which is a custom build upon request for BIG power. Pictured below is our multi disk clutch pack, one double sided and one single - the single sided is turned clutch side up.

If you can give us the part number on the side of the converter, we can tell you exactly what it is. But like Jake also mentioned, you need to be 100% sure it came from a 100% working transmission. Any contamination can cause big trouble.

Chris
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot guys. That clears it up. I think I have made up my mind to save a little more money and buy a new circle d from chris and a 4l80e from jakes. I have had some bad luck in the past and after having to sit this year out, I would like to avoid any problems next year.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dtroike
Thanks a lot guys. That clears it up. I think I have made up my mind to save a little more money and buy a new circle d from chris and a 4l80e from jakes. I have had some bad luck in the past and after having to sit this year out, I would like to avoid any problems next year.
Sounds like a plan, we will be here when you need us.

Chris
Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Like Jake mentioned, our multi-disk is a 3 clutch setup with 2 steels. Every friction surface in a converter counts a one, where a double sided friction in a trans is referred to as one clutch. It can be confusing, good question for the OP. It stems from the OE single disk converter, you have a piston like Jake showed and it has one lining. They way our clutch pack is setup has to be in odd numbers, 1 3 or 5 - which is a custom build upon request for BIG power. Pictured below is our multi disk clutch pack, one double sided and one single - the single sided is turned clutch side up.

If you can give us the part number on the side of the converter, we can tell you exactly what it is. But like Jake also mentioned, you need to be 100% sure it came from a 100% working transmission. Any contamination can cause big trouble.

Chris
Dayum Thats nice!

Quick Reply: Is a triple disc circle D converter actually a twin?