Sponsored by:

GM Supermatic 4l85E

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default GM Supermatic 4l85E

http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19154550.html

Has any one used one of these transmissions or know of anyone who has?
Any opinion's will be welcome
Its to go behind an LS3 with an LS9 blower.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

I wouldn't pay the list price of $3100 for one. At that price I would buy a much stronger 4L80E from e.g. Jake. The GM one won't have the billet input shaft and other improvements you should have when going over 700HP.
I'm no expert on the 4L8xE, but you are asking for opinions.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could build a substantially stronger 4L80E with billet parts including core and basically all of shipping for that price, if that gives you any perspective.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthTexasConverter
I could build a substantially stronger 4L80E with billet parts including core and basically all of shipping for that price, if that gives you any perspective.
Billet Input shaft, mainshaft and fwd hub included? plus torque converter..
Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by zgp
Billet Input shaft, mainshaft and fwd hub included? plus torque converter..
Everything listed but the billet main shaft. That would be a bit extra. However, it's unlikely you would need the billet main shaft and not some kind of alternative for the intermediate sprag setup as well. You honestly may not be at a point where you need either of those in fact. How much power are we talking about here, what kind of RPMs will the car see and what's the weight?

Converter would also be extra. It looks like they have just a plain old stock converter pictured, so if a converter DID come with that purchase, it would be pretty far from being considered "high quality" from myself and many of the other builders on here.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

a little to pricey for me id for a rossler with that type of cash
Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I never have understood the draw to Rossler's stuff. There are a handful of proven builders who build as good or better product AND give tech help online.

I can understand his philosophy for internet business but after having one of his TH400's apart a few weeks ago... Not impressed.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

And Rossler doesn't give out any free advice here or help non-customers on this forum as do Jake and some of the other sponsors.
If you are getting benefit from this forum, then support the sponsors! Especially those who's product is at least as good as and similarly priced to those from non-sponsors.
I know that all the sponsors here work very hard and put in a lot of hours and have very competitive prices.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lsexpress
a little to pricey for me id for a rossler with that type of cash
Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I never have understood the draw to Rossler's stuff. There are a handful of proven builders who build as good or better product AND give tech help online.

I can understand his philosophy for internet business but after having one of his TH400's apart a few weeks ago... Not impressed.
THIS

I assume part of it's because so many people who participate in Hot Rod Drag Week and other events all seem to have Rossler TH400s with a Gear Vendors and word spreads that way I suppose.

Having had one of his 4L80Es opened in the last 6 months did not exactly blow my mind either to say the least.

The way I look at it is pretty straightfoward, maybe a Rossler fan can chime in with their rebuttal but here's how I see it.

4L80E manual control box? $300 from Rossler, $150 or $200 from either us or Jake.

Transbrake? $600 through Rossler plus the cost of a required deep pan. A similar functioning, yet faster engagement and release from either Jake or I (neither of which require a deep pan)? $500-$600 and that's it.

Here's Rossler's high end TH400 offering list.

ROSS-LOCK™ PRO TREE TRANS BRAKE REVERSE SHIFT
Plenty of faster/better brakes out there
*248 GEAR SET
Stock gearset
REAR CASE THRUST BEARING
Rollerized the rear...
GLASS BEAD, TRIM EARS, PREP CASE FOR RACING
Standard practice
HP OVERHAUL NEW BUSHINGS, SEALS, GASKETS CLUTCHES
More standard practice
HIGH FLOW HP FILTER
And again.
PATENTED SNAP RING STABILIZER
SPECIAL DESIGN M300 BILLET INPUT SHAFT
I also do 300M input shafts on the majority of 400s I build. I know Jake and many many others do too
CNC MODIFIED FORWARD DRUM WITH OVER SIZED SPLINE FOR EXTRA DURABILITY WITH ROSSLER EXCLUSIVE SHAFT RETAINER SYSTEM TO PREVENT SHAFT MOVEMENT
Nothing I have neither heard of nor not used in the past. Forward drum with either more splines and/or larger splines with the addition of a snap ring to secure the shaft. Plenty of companies offer this exact thing and plenty more use them in their builds.
BILLET FORWARD CLUTCH HUB
Extremely common item found in the majority of my TH400s and 80Es
H.D. 36 ELEMENT OVERSIZED PRO-MOD SPRAG, TWICE THE SURFACE AREA OF A REGULAR 34 ELEMENT SPRAG
A standard 36 element iron super drum. Crazy stuff right here! We use the iron drum from time to time, or the 34 element aluminum or the 36 element aluminum. The 36 element sprag also does not DOUBLE the surface area of a regular 34 element sprag, but I digress
AIRCRAFT GRADE QUALITY 7075-T6, BILLET ALUMINUM HIGH GEAR DRUM, ELIMINATES 4.5LBS OF ROTATING WEIGHT FROM TRANSMISSION. ALSO PREVENTS DRUM EXPLOSION!! FOR DURABILITY AND SAFETY, WITH BILLET STEEL SLEEVE TO PREVENT PREMATURE SEALING RING WEAR IN DRUM BORE.
Ah looks like he's using an aluminum drum in fact. A part we use quite a lot ourselves, in fact have 3 customers on this forum right now currently getting this exact same part. In fact, I would posit ours are better due to the hard anodizing process our drums undergo to prevent wear not only in the sealing ring bore but in the clutch pack area as well. I would assume Rossler's do not do this due to the fact he has the sleeve in the ring bore
HP HD CLUTCH PACKS
No comment
BILLET M300 INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
Very common part as well
Basically what you're looking at is either a Level IV TH400 from us or a Level V from Jake. You pay $3,800 through Rossler for that, while you would pay ~$3,350 for the same exact thing from me, but my price also includes the core and comes with a one year warranty.

Sorry to seem like I went on such a long rant, but I just figured now was as good a time as any to clarify on what you're getting vs what you're paying for

Originally Posted by mrvedit
And Rossler doesn't give out any free advice here or help non-customers on this forum as do Jake and some of the other sponsors.
If you are getting benefit from this forum, then support the sponsors! Especially those who's product is at least as good as and similarly priced to those from non-sponsors.
I know that all the sponsors here work very hard and put in a lot of hours and have very competitive prices.
True this. Had to call his shop 4 times in August to get a copy of the instructions for his transbrake for a customer transmission that came in here with it. Too many issues, had the same issues in the past with a previous customer trans late last year, so we ended up swapping it out for our brake and VOILA, not only did it work flawlessly behind the 1,250rwhp combination, it performed much better than it did before. Customer was very pleased as far as I could tell.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Call NORTH TEXAS CONVERTER BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE HANDS DOWN!!!!!!

Quick Reply: GM Supermatic 4l85E