Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLVED - P1SC SD OL 4L60E TransGo Kit w/violent P to R and N to D.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLVED - P1SC SD OL 4L60E TransGo Kit w/violent P to R and N to D.

I installed a TransGo shift-kit this weekend as my 4L60e had just over 104K miles and was in need of some maintenance. Installed everything per the instructions and triple checked everything. When car was on jacks it shifts through 1-4 and reverse (I have HP Tuners Pro) when I got it on the floor and shifted from Park to Revers it bangs into gear and the rear tire break free with a chirp with the engine dieing immediately after. This is the case from Natural to Drive as well. I have insured that every setting in the Trans is set to stock minus the Torque Management Abuse Mode set to zero. Anyone dealt with this before? Maybe my Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS) went the same time I swapped parts?

Mods are as follows:
Sub-frame Connectors
Strut Tower Brace
Sway Bars
Torque Arm
4L60E transmission W/Trans Cooler
Polly Trans and Motor mounts
Driveshaft 3” /1350U joint
Moser 12 bolt 3.42 Gear
LS6 Intake/ 85mm BBK TB
1 7/8 Headers and cat back exhaust
ProCharger P1SC
BOV/ 3” aluminum piping/Intercooler
60lb injectors
Walbro 340 fuel pump
NGK TR6 Spark plugs
Performance Griffin radiator
16” Zirgo fan (3630 CFM)
HP Tuners Pro SD OL Tune

Last edited by double0me; 11-16-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

I wonder if your TCC is locked up, but not sure how that can happen when installed the HD2. I assume you did not rebuild the entire trans.
Try this with your rear wheels off the ground:
Start engine and shift into drive. Then apply the brakes until rears wheels stop; if this abruptly stalls the engine that would be a sign the converter is locked.

What year is the trans?
Other that dropping the valve body and installing the HD2, did you do anything else?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The transgo kit mostly disables PWM if your TCC solenoid is enabled you could get full or partial lockup at idle . But if indeed putting it into gear reverse or forward kills the engine suddenly I would say the TCC solenoid would either have to be on or stuck or the TCC valve is stuck or a cross leak in the valve body gaskets miss installed or torn and or possibly a check ball ended up stuck between the valve body and case. But if it was not a problem before you started the installation itself along with one of the above would be prime suspects.
I would take it back down and look everything over.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

I ran it through the gears with all the tires up and did not have it stall. But I will do it again before I drop the pan again. The RPM's drop normally when putting it into gear and recently when I shifted into reverse it actually stalled once, but couldn't duplicate it. Figured I would run it down after the HD2. This stalling is a bit different though. The trans shifts so hard that even with my foot on the brake the back tires break free for a split second. To the point where I am sure if it would not stall each time that I would be doing a burnout in the garage. After everything I was able to get a code to flash (P0748 - Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Electrical) I will check wires and connections when I drop the pan. I am sure all the hard parts are in the right place, check *****, solid gaskets and so on. The 4L60E is a 1999 and is the same that came stock in the TransAm it has 104K miles on it which is what prompted the upgrades. Thanks for the ideas gentleman and I will post what I find.

Last edited by double0me; 11-10-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

I raised the rear today and tested the shifting from P to R and it slammed into gear and stalled. I got two codes this time (P0785, P0748) Looks like my TCC is stuck. At least i know where to start. Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:12 PM

Good luck. Hopefully the underlying problem will be obvious and easy to correct.
If you didn't already, you should order a Transgo Universal separator plate (#46-PLT-96) and a new set of gaskets. First drill the plate according to its instructions for a V8, then again according to the HD2 instructions. While a stuck or missing check ball will not cause your problem, a loose one in a random passage could cause crazy symptoms.
The new plate ensures a check ball doesn't get stuck in the near future.
New gaskets are a must.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

This piece of jackassery is for anyone else that dose something equally as foolish. I do not know how I missed something like this. I am going to break the rest of it apart to make sure. Where is the smiley face that says jack ***...
Old 11-07-2014, 06:00 PM

I see the connector of the 3-2 downshift solenoid mangled. Obviously a problem,but I would expect other symptoms.

Don't be hard on yourself. I have done worse.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 508 Likes on 392 Posts

I agree with mrvedit I don’t think this is the cause of the problem you are having with it slamming into gear. I would pull the valve body and recheck the TransGo shift-kit instructions paying close attention the TCC shift valve part. The valve could be installed correctly but stuck in the Valve body. The valve must move freely.

Don’t sweat the mistakes we all have made them. I am the king of as you say jackassery. We just have to find the mistakes and then correct them.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

so I plugged up ALL the connectors, and put the pan back on and filled it with fluid. Plugged up the laptop and look to see what was happening. The PCS line pressure locks up at 90% which is not normal. I guess I have my next clue....
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
20141108.hpl (81.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 03:36 PM

I would prefer to see your scanner values when the engine is running; I have no idea what the PCS value normally is with just ignition on.
Also, why is your manifold kPa 0.0; that is an impossible value.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sooo, I was playing with the tune to double check everything before I tore into the trans one more time. Funny thing happened. With the car in Neutral shifting into drive (without the brake pressed in) it works fine. Shifts through each gear. No drastic drop in RPMs but as soon as I stop the rear tires it kills the engine. Before I would always apply the brake before shifting so it would always stall. This should be interesting... I will keep posting my findings for reference in the future hopefully someone can learn from my errors.

Last edited by double0me; 11-10-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I would prefer to see your scanner values when the engine is running; I have no idea what the PCS value normally is with just ignition on.
Also, why is your manifold kPa 0.0; that is an impossible value.
Sorry I could not upload my Config file. That would help. I am going to pull a log with the trans moving through gear for reference. give me a few.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

If the engine kills when you stop the wheels with the brakes in any forward and reverse gear the most likely cause is the ISO-Converter valve has the torque converter locked up. If the kit you installed is a TransGo 4L60E –HD2-C you should have made changes to the ISO-Converter when installing your shift kit. Pull the valve body and recheck the TransGo shift-kit instructions on page 3 steps 1 and 2 paying close attention the ISO-Converter valve part. Make sure this valve moves freely.

If the car was not doing this before you installed the shift kit it almost has to be something you did to the valve body.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bbond105
If the engine kills when you stop the wheels with the brakes in any forward and reverse gear the most likely cause is the ISO-Converter valve has the torque converter locked up. If the kit you installed is a TransGo 4L60E –HD2-C you should have made changes to the ISO-Converter when installing your shift kit. Pull the valve body and recheck the TransGo shift-kit instructions on page 3 steps 1 and 2 paying close attention the ISO-Converter valve part. Make sure this valve moves freely.

If the car was not doing this before you installed the shift kit it almost has to be something you did to the valve body.

Agreed, I am sure its a hard part in the trans. Its just so weird!!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

If by hard part you mean valve body you are right. A stuck or improperly installed valve will make your trans do weird things.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a link to the .cfg and scans.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...256#post366256

I will pull the valve body in a bit. I have a long weekend and should be able to at least get everything inspected, if not fixed. Thank you for all the input you have given its been helpful.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM

I only had a few minutes to look at your tune, but I saw a few strange things already:

1. Your Force Motor Current in the "100" column is set to a tiny value of 1.245, while the "96" column is set to 156. Such abrupt change sometimes confuse the PCM. I have a value of "100" in the "96" and "100" columns and gradually increase to the other columns.

2. In the Performance Shift table, all values are 256. I suspect you are running with the "Normal" table, but I would duplicate the Normal values in the Performance table.
(I'm sure this has no effect on your problem, but could bite you down the road.)
Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I only had a few minutes to look at your tune, but I saw a few strange things already:

1. Your Force Motor Current in the "100" column is set to a tiny value of 1.245, while the "96" column is set to 156. Such abrupt change sometimes confuse the PCM. I have a value of "100" in the "96" and "100" columns and gradually increase to the other columns.

2. In the Performance Shift table, all values are 256. I suspect you are running with the "Normal" table, but I would duplicate the Normal values in the Performance table.
(I'm sure this has no effect on your problem, but could bite you down the road.)
I will fix that, thank you! Just got the Valve body out and on the table so I will upload some pictures of what I find.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Just got everything put back together after checking all the valves. Here is a video of the ISO-CONV in to show it drops in smooth.

everything else was in the right spot and the fluid looked good.

Quick Reply: SOLVED - P1SC SD OL 4L60E TransGo Kit w/violent P to R and N to D.