Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Flushing??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Flushing??

I was going to have my tranny flushed and filled with mobile 1 atf but after reading up on here beforehand i have seen plenty of people say often times people end up rebuilding their trannys after flushes. Obviously this has scared me so i am not going to do a flush.

I currently have 40,113 on the clock and the atf and filter have never been changed. One guy even said changing the filter and fluid from the pan is a risky deal. What are everyone's opinions, should i change my tranny fluid or is it too risky? My tranny does not hesitate or slip at all.

To me it makes sense to change it bc if i don't my tranny is gonna die anyways right?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

I've never heard of your tranny needing to be rebuilt, because you have had the fluid and screen changed. If that's the case, then transmissions shops, is the business i need to be in.
The only time you need to rebuild your tranny is if the tranny is slipping badly, or of your car is having trouble switching gears.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes but i heard flushing knocks contaminents loose and causes damage because they dont' flush it long enough to get everything out.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

My god man why have you waited so long?

If it is being maintained properly there won't be a bunch of crap in it.

A synthetic trans fluid is likely to clear out and "gunk" you have in there anyway. The synthetics seem to have more detergents or at least funtion like they do.

I have flushed the transmission on almost every car I have owned with no problems. I am a FANATIC when it comes to preventative maintenance. I change my T/As trans fluid twice a year. The GTP gets a fluid and filter once a year. The T/A sees about 5-7,000 per year and the GTP sees 9-12,000. I use Redline fluids in both of them.

I have the local lube joint flush my transmission with their "flushing machine". I watch them do it. Use none of their additives. I had bad experiences trhe first time and after a fluid change it was back to normal.

I say flush it move on from there. Leaving the nasty fluid in there is guaranteed to do more damage.

BTW: the Deftones are bad ***. Chino!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont change your engine oil, it'll knock out the contaminants and stuff :hehe:

j/k

just flush it, it'll be ok
Old 05-28-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you have your local shop flush it, what do you put back in it? Mine was flushed at 20g, I am at 27, but am thinking of doing it again since I bought the car used.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

We do between 100-150 trans flushes a month where I work and I haven't seen any cases of the flush causing the trans to malfunction. What I do see though is people notice that their trans starts acting up and hoping that a flush will "fix" it after the damage has already been done. In most cases they will have between 80-100K on it and never serviced it. We had one customer recently that had his transmission go out and he had been a long time regular, he started to complain that we hadn't told him it needed servicing after the trans shop told him that the lack of service to his fluid is what causes his problem. Of course he shut up once I printed the last 2 years of his service history and on every invoice (12 of them) there had been a recomendation to do the service and he denied it.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoneSS
When you have your local shop flush it, what do you put back in it? Mine was flushed at 20g, I am at 27, but am thinking of doing it again since I bought the car used.
New trans fluid gets put back in.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any certain additives though?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the myth comes from people bringing in transmission that are going to blow up anyway, and hope (or think) a flush is going to fix it.

As far as knocking debris and varnishes loose and sticking a valvebody, etc, I guess it's possible but that's more likely to happen when someone has 150,000 on their original fluid. In other words, an unmaintained trans to begin with.

I'm not a big fan of using the "additives", just flush it with straight fluid. ATF has a lot of detergants, stabilizers etc already. Most of the additives are for "smoother shifting", meaning more slip. Not exactly what we're looking for in a performance car. The most important thing is to change the fluid, not "clean" anything.

And I'd still suggest changing the filter, something most people don't do in a standard flush.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoneSS
Any certain additives though?

It depends. Some shops require you use it and others ask you if you want it. I suggest you avoid it.