Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My T56 to 4L80E Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks tally. I ended up mounting shifter further back and the cable cleared the brace. Iv done a lot of research and found that cutting the brace for the plug is a must. I have cut but connector still hits. What trans mount are Yal using? Any updates opp?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I would use a Circle D converter or someone else and not the one you posted.
Get the billet front 1350 yoke from Jake that has the full spline.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still collecting parts. I've got a converter since the last post. Went with an FTI billet triple disc lockup 3600 stall per FTI's recommendations. I was thinking higher stall initially but was convinced by FTI that at my power and higher the stall effectively is closer to 4k stall give or take. Regardless I'm sure it'll be great. I'm going to be getting the mezier flexplate from FTI soon as the next part then I think I've decided on the pro ratchet shifter. After that I'm thinking of going with the compushift2 controller and then whatever smaller odds and ends I still need. Back yard projects have been making it hard to gather these parts faster but its getting closer.

Thanks for posting pics of the shift cable guys. I didn't know that there was an issue with that brace needing to be cut. I'm going to try to mount my shifter back far enough without it looking bad to avoid any unnecessary cutting like the last guy did. Already not looking forward to cutting the frame for the plug but it is what it is I guess.

Any pics of how you mounted the shifter to clear that brace without cutting?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't Know if you can tell but the rear of the shifter is mounted on the cars trans tunnel where it goes up about an inch, and not the hole cover I built. It mounts the shifter pretty far back but it was the only way I could get the cable to work with out cutting the brace. I put a few washers under the front 2 bolts to kinda raise the shifter cause the rear is higher.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

Where are you guys getting those tunnel hole covers? Homemade?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just cut mine out from some sheet metal with a cut off wheel. And bent it to shape. Drilled the holes but they were all off so I just used drillers ha
Old 08-08-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

do any of you guys have any pics of the plug and any tunnel mods to make the tranny fit?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Update, shifter came in today. Decided on the B&M Pro stick since I wasn't sure if I'd be ok with a ratchet shifter in the long run for mostly street driving and also the Pro Stick shows as compatible with the 4l80e. Also got a billet Phoenix shift **** for it. The threads dont match but I bought a pack of thread adapters and 2 of them back to back inside of the **** mates up perfect with the the shifter. I was surprised actually by the final fit, the shift stick has these blocks that come out after the threads which actually stop the billet **** in the perfect position so the phoenix will face the right way. Here are some shots:

Also, I believe i read on this site that the harness out the side of the transmissions required some cutting. Anyone got a few pictures with different angles?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  20141102_141445_LLS_zps40432a02.jpg
Views: 36588
Size:  136.4 KB

if i did it again, id make the cutout bigger. i dont have much clearance around the plug.

also had to cut a similar section on the other side for a trans cooler fitting
Old 08-15-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

When you say bigger does the cutout need to be taller or wider? For the other side can cutting be avoided with angled fittings?

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm

if i did it again, id make the cutout bigger. i dont have much clearance around the plug.

also had to cut a similar section on the other side for a trans cooler fitting
Old 08-30-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

I just started this yesterday. So i will have alot of questions as I go along. I see you guys only cut the brace in the tunnel at that spot, i figured there would need to be a little more hammering to make the trans fit?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Dementia did you figure out what will be happening with youre Driveshaft?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Not yet haven't gotten under the car, still gathering parts feels like it'll never end. I'll be ordering a flywheel this weekend most likely.

Since I'm still gathering parts, I recall seeing somewhere that one should order a stronger joint for the driveshaft. Anyone got any part numbers or links?

NnOoSsSs please be sure to post up pictures as you go along. I'm sure I'll need em when its finally time for me to get in there.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dementia
Not yet haven't gotten under the car, still gathering parts feels like it'll never end. I'll be ordering a flywheel this weekend most likely.

Since I'm still gathering parts, I recall seeing somewhere that one should order a stronger joint for the driveshaft. Anyone got any part numbers or links?

NnOoSsSs please be sure to post up pictures as you go along. I'm sure I'll need em when its finally time for me to get in there.
Ok so right now im still gathering internals for the 6.0 but after i get all those i will be starting on my 80e components. Im not sure if you mentioned it yet but are you doing a manual control? Ive been learning quite a bit on that.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Ok so right now im still gathering internals for the 6.0 but after i get all those i will be starting on my 80e components. Im not sure if you mentioned it yet but are you doing a manual control? Ive been learning quite a bit on that.
So far the plan is to get a compushift 2 to handle the shifting. Want to go that route because I think it'll be fun later on to get paddle shifters setup in the car and the compushift 2 is capable of handling that.

I'm thinking Flywheel this weekend, smaller odds and ends in the months to follow and then compushift2 during tax time at which point I'll hopefully have everything I need to start the 80e swap. I'd love to just keep it sitting and build up an engine but I'm worried that'll take too long and I dont want the tranny sitting for years without lubrication flowing through it at least every now and then. What other parts have you had to pick up? I'm sure I've overlooked something that I'll need.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

So far the plan is to get a compushift 2 to handle the shifting. Want to go that route because I think it'll be fun later on to get paddle shifters setup in the car and the compushift 2 is capable of handling that.

I'm thinking Flywheel this weekend, smaller odds and ends in the months to follow and then compushift2 during tax time at which point I'll hopefully have everything I need to start the 80e swap. I'd love to just keep it sitting and build up an engine but I'm worried that'll take too long and I dont want the tranny sitting for years without lubrication flowing through it at least every now and then. What other parts have you had to pick up? I'm sure I've overlooked something that I'll need.
I havent picked anything up yet as far as the trans goes. But this week im ordering pretty much whatever else i have left for the motor. Springs, rods, etc. Once i do that i will probably start at structural things. I will order a torque arm with a DS loop, and probably the trans crossmember and such. As far as my driveshaft goes i think i will measure once everything is in so i can get an accurate measurement on that, i will probably sell the one i have now and just pick a new one up

This was yesterday.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Damn that compushift is fancy. Pretty neat. You have twins with a 5.7 right?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Damn that compushift is fancy. Pretty neat. You have twins with a 5.7 right?
Yea APS twins on a completely stock LS1 except for the intake manifold (Vic Jr w/ sharp/shorty elbow). I've got a huron speed twin kit I'm fixing to install. Much like my transmission efforts I'm still collecting parts on that but the transmission takes priority right now. Ultimately I'd like to build an LSNext (thinking 364 to keep it emissions friendly-er since I still have to deal with all that) by the time i get to setting up the huron speed twin kit.

Gotta say man, jealous of your garage space and lift access. I'm going to try to do the install on my own when the time comes and I foresee a crawler in my future.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Yea APS twins on a completely stock LS1 except for the intake manifold (Vic Jr w/ sharp/shorty elbow). I've got a huron speed twin kit I'm fixing to install. Much like my transmission efforts I'm still collecting parts on that but the transmission takes priority right now. Ultimately I'd like to build an LSNext (thinking 364 to keep it emissions friendly-er since I still have to deal with all that) by the time i get to setting up the huron speed twin kit.

Gotta say man, jealous of your garage space and lift access. I'm going to try to do the install on my own when the time comes and I foresee a crawler in my future.
Nice, is it a weekend fun car? You can still use regular LS internals with those Next blocks right? I wish that was my personal garage. That right there is one of the pros we get here on base. Can definetly be pretty useful. I am ultimately going with a F1 setup with a LQ4. So im excited to start ordering these trans parts to get this show on the road.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with talley in making the cutouts larger. I had BFH mine to make the plug fit, looks nasty but works. And you have to cut the other side for the cooler line, even with angle fittings. And cut larger than I did, it will only make it easier.

Quick Reply: My T56 to 4L80E Build