My T56 to 4L80E Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-26-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.bmracing.com/products/81052-automatic-shifter-stealth-magnum-grip-pro-stick-shifter/

Just bought this one
Old 03-26-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Nice thats awesome does it come with the cables also? I bought some off brand one i think its from this company called anchor. Its the same just like the ac delco.
Yea it came with cables and a microswitch (for neutral safety switch) I bought an extra one for the reverse lights also.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
http://www.bmracing.com/products/81052-automatic-shifter-stealth-magnum-grip-pro-stick-shifter/

Just bought this one

very nice, that was my VERY CLOSE 2nd choice. I've never driven a pistol grip car though and wasnt sure if I'd like it so I played it safe and went with the phoenix **** combo since I've always wanted one on my T56 but never got around to it.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dementia
very nice, that was my VERY CLOSE 2nd choice. I've never driven a pistol grip car though and wasnt sure if I'd like it so I played it safe and went with the phoenix **** combo since I've always wanted one on my T56 but never got around to it.
Yea i understand what your saying i actually had a pistol grip for my t56 for a little while and liked it but it didnt really match up to the shifter so it was a little awkward but for auto i think itll be just fine. A little bummed i have to get my d/s shortened but it was expected.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Just bought a universal GM 4L80e rubber mount like the one you've got pictured there (the ac delco one i mentioned previously doesnt picture a nut going on the rod that goes through the mount so I'm 2nd guessing that one) and some low profile transmission cooler banjo bolts to give me some added clearance on the cooling lines out of the transmission. Found some other threads on here of people recommending them and they seem to be properly spec'd. One bolt is longer and the other is shorter which from what I'm reading also supports that these are indeed correct fitting fittings. My tranny is mid year which means the collant in/outlets are further apart on the tranny itself. The banjo bolts go from 1/4 NPS to -6AN which I gather is plenty for the cooling lines.

Now I just need to decide on a cooler (probably get some -6AN fittings for it) and source some black braided lines with polished aluminum fittings and decide on a dipstick/tube setup.

Initially I was going to go with the B&M SuperCooler (70274) but found some other people using B&M Cooler (70297) which comes with a fan. I'm still leaning towards the fanless 70274 as it seems to have fairly similar cooler dimensions but with way more cooling "rows" (48 vs 15). I guess if i needed to later I could always throw a fan on it. Getting there.

Last edited by dementia; 03-26-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Forgot it was mentioned earlier that I'd need to replace the slip yoke. What slip yoke will I need? Looking around it looks like where I got my tranny from offers a 32 spline 1350 yoke stated to be counterbored so as to not require extra machining to fit truck style output shafts. This is a bit greek to me but it does state to work in an FBody it would need a conversion U-Joint.

They also offer a fully machined chromolly slip yoke that fits 1350 or 3R U joints. Do our cars have the 3R U Joints or will i have to get a 1350 yoke with an adapter U Joint? Sorry if these questions are basic, these parts are definitely not my forte.

Anyone have any experience with FTI F8056 dipstick & tube for the 4l80e in a 4th gen F-Body?

Last edited by dementia; 03-26-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Hey dude i just bought a 4l80e yoke with a 1350 u joint
Old 03-27-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Amazon.com: GM Turbo 400 Transmission Slip Yoke, 4L80E/TH 400 (1350 U-joint): Automotive Amazon.com: GM Turbo 400 Transmission Slip Yoke, 4L80E/TH 400 (1350 U-joint): Automotive
Old 03-28-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry if I missed it but what dipstick and tube are you running? Haven't found much on a good one to go with.

Last edited by dementia; 03-28-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Decided on a slip yoke, will be putting in my order tomorrow morning. Place I got my Transmission from has a chromoly 32 Spline yoke that fits a 3R u-joint which appears to be what is stock. so I wont have to buy a conversion U-joint.

They also have a 4l80 dipstick and tube I'll probably get at the same time. Its a hard tube style but I'm guessing since the transmission will be off anyways I can just make sure it gets installed simultaneously so that I avoid a lot of the headaches that people seem to have with a flexible piece like the lokar. Hopefully I dont regret going this route later on.

Since I'm placing my order tomorrow morning I could use some last minute feedback on the slip yoke. It looks like stock is 3R but they also offer it in 1350. Is a 1350 U-Joint stronger than a 3R? Just looking for future proofing. If 1350 style is ultimately stronger than I'll go that route and just bite the bullet on a conversion U-Joint but if its the same durability wise then I'll just go with 3R and save a few bucks on a conversion U-Joint.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Tranny Mount came in today. Looks bigger than I imagined it being from all the pictures online. Looks like a good enough piece.

Also just got done placing my order for the Chromoly 3R slip yoke and the dipstick & tube (hard stock style). Jake said that they machine their output shafts inhouse so I wont need a counterbored version. Looks like the Chromoly slip yokes dont come that way anyway so it should be a perfect match.

Now I just need the cooler and lines. Found the lines I'll end up going with. Black Braided PTFE. My buddy found it in less than 5 minutes online and I literally couldnt find it at all in the sizes i needed when I was doing my fuel system. I'll be saving this buyer so that I can revisit my fuel setup one day.

This brings me to my newest question. I'm looking at the B&M 70274 Super Cooler for the transmission. I know that some people have troubles fitting it but it just struck me that the obvious place (in front of the radiator) might not work for me because once i get my HS v2 Twin kit on, my radiator will be vertical and have pusher fans. Is there another location that is suitable to install these? I'm currently thinking on the underside of the front bumper where those black plastic panels are and horizontally mount it with a puller fan later if necessary. Any thoughts?
Old 04-02-2016, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Transmission cooler, npt to an fittings, braided lines, and line fittings are ordered. I believe this wraps up the parts that I'll need and once things arrive I should be good to start the swap.

I went with Tru-Cool H7B transmission cooler which from everything I'm finding is exactly the same as the B&M 70274 cooler (Looks like Tru-Cool might even make them for B&M). For the lines I went with summit -6AN PTFE lines and their -6AN fittings that go along with it. Bought 20ft which it sounds like should be plenty.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry man on the late reply ive been busy, Im stil missing my lines but that and the driveshaft will be last minute things also since there is a nice warehouse that stocks lines close by i wont be needing to order to much. I went with the lokar dipstick. i picked up a derale cooler which i will need to mount in front of my radiator since my car is lower than most and i dont want to risk ******* it up driving down the road, glad your getting everything together, we were both on a stand still for a bit but i hope to have my car running in the next couple weeks. My shifter came in yesterday. ill post a pic of it
Old 04-03-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Old 04-03-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice man looks like an awesome shifter. My setup might me a little longer out than a couple weeks but hopefully I'll at least be starting it soon
Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Think I realized that there is still one thing left on my list of things to get. I was sold a pack of Mezier Bolts (by ARP from what FTI tells me) part # FPHM111.5 described as Flex Plate Bolts LS Metric 11M x 1.50 (6 pack). Are these the bolts that will bolt to the flex plate or are they spec'd to go crank side?

I figure one way or another I'm missing the other set of bolts so I still need to pick that up.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Im not sure on that one, did you get it figured out?
Old 04-10-2016, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Getting ready to do some work on my car today hope to have it out and about by the 22nd, pretty pumped haha
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Man I'm jealous!!! Post up lots of pics, I'm sure I'll find them useful as will others.

I've opted to complete collecting parts for my Huron Speed twin kit (v2) before starting the install on everything. I've got Precision 6766's ordered with some radiator fans. Still need a radiator and hoses. I'll also have to finally install my battery relocation kit thats been sitting in my closet the last couple years. For that I'll need to source some high quality 0gauge wire. Probably be looking for welding cable. I feel like I'll never be done collecting parts.

Quick Reply: My T56 to 4L80E Build