Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My T56 to 4L80E Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like i'll be going with the low viscosity John Deere Hygard for tranny fluid. Jakes recommends it for applications that are turbo'd and uses a transbrake (both of which I'll have). For making the shifter hole cover, how thick of sheet metal are you guys using?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

6 might do it i think the next size you can order is 10. been a while since ive ordered braided line. but no harm in ordering to much you will always find a use for it down the road

Originally Posted by dementia
I have the same fittings packed away in the garage (moved in a few months ago so a lot of stuffs still boxed up). I was actually wondering how much tubing I'll need for the tranny cooler.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

honestly on sheet metal i would find whatever thickness is hard to bend by hand but easy to bend with a hammer. om sure somewhere around 1/16th would be enouph. when i get to that point I will just go by the feel of it personally.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Progress is slow but getting there. Took a side step from these steps as I decided to take off my old turbo (APS) kit since some stuff was out of the way right now. The turbos are looking to still be a pain to get off with how cramped the kit is. I'm going to take this opportunity to just drop the whole motor out and fix up the bay like i've been wanting to and it'll allow me to get at the turbo stuff a lot easier. It'll also give me the room i'll need to get my griffin radiator installed (up/vertical). Made a lot of progress on that end the last 2 weekends and I think the next weekend i get to work on the car for any amount of time I might actually be ready to drop the engine. So far the bumpers off, the APS intercooler is off, a bunch of the APS cold side piping is off, few parts of the APS intercooler shroud is off, sway bar is off, AC condensor is hanging away from the engine, coolant is drained and radiator hoses and steam vent hose are disconnected. I believe i have a few sensors that need to be disconnected, the ground straps need to be disconnected, and I think i can safely begin to raise the car off of the engine. Hoping with the engine out i can get the rest of the turbo stuff off in a day and post it up for sale. As expected one of my turbos gave up the ghost and was pushing oil. Had some oil in the charge pipes leading up to the intercooler but I was pleased to see that none of it made it up through the intercooler. Throttle body coupler and piping were clean as the day I bought them with no oil in sight.

I do have a question though, what do you guys think is a fair price to list my T56 for? Car has under 50k miles and although I've been to the track like 5 times (pre turbo and running on 245 yoko all seasons so the car has never seen 'real' traction) the trans has never given me issues. I've been looking around and I see a couple of ads up locally with stock T56's going for the $1700-$1900 range but they're far dirtier looking (some look like they have years of baked on grime) and the lowest mileage one i've seen going for around that is just under 100k miles. That was higher than I was expecting but if its reasonable to list mine for more, well then I'm game.

Also what would be a fair price to list my monster stage 1 triple disc clutch with the 28lb billet steel flywheel for? Looks like they retail for $2500 new and mines got about 5k miles on it. Followed the recommended break in procedure on it and kept following it through about 1k miles.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Following for future.
Props to you for the documentation of the swap
Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

Great info here. Thanks for the details fellas!
Old 08-11-2018, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm torn between keeping the t56 magnum I have or going 4l80e. How have you that switched like it? I'll definitely be using this to help out if I do, good job guys.

Quick Reply: My T56 to 4L80E Build