Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-3 shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-3 shift problem

Hey guys...ok heres the deal...when i go to the track i cant stay off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift ive tried lowering my shift point but it doesnt help...this only happens when i take off from a stop or my car drops to first gear...when i punch it from about a 60 roll there is no problem on the shift...one thing i noticed while using predator is that just before it hits the limiter i pull about 1.4 degrees or KR...any thoughts?

Wes
Old 06-03-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not sure about the shifting problem but ill tell you that 1 or 2 degrees of KR is not going to make a "feelable" difference. i've run my car while hooked up to a scanner and on occasion it will pull a couple degrees under load. its only when you start pulling a whole lot of timing that i could see it becoming a problem. just thought id add that.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have two shift point>s< - MPH and RPM.
Set them both well lower than you really want.
Like 5500RPM and 70MPH.

Set your shift time on the 2-3 down to -25%.
You should have a fast firm shift somewhere
lower than rev limiter. If you still are hitting
the limiter, then there may be an internal
problem.

Now creep up your RPM, like 200 RPM at a time,
until you start tagging the limiter again. Back
off 200, to the last one that didn't.

Now creep up the MPH, same way, 2MPH at a
time. When you find the limiter again, back off.

Now you have both shift params maximized,
relative to the converter slip, trans cycle time
"windage" needed, etc.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

I had this problem for months as well. Could not stay off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift no matter what. No amount of tuning would fix the problem. It was a transmission fluid starvation issue in my case. I could tell that it was a fluid problem because when the transmission was accidentally overfilled by a quart and a half the problem completely disappeared. As soon as I corrected the fluid to the normal level, the problem came back. A truck pan and filter may be your fix. It sounds an awful lot like you are having the same problem as I had. I have seen another report from a guy who said his car and other cars were acting just like yours...only having the problem from a stop but not from a roll. He said the truck pan fixed the problem in each case.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

Recently at the track I noticed that my 2-3 shift was slipping pretty badly. Against the advice of some on here I normally shift my car during track runs. I seriously noticed a 1.5-2 tenth gain ( I cant argue this guys.. the slips dont lie ). BUT! There is a problem. On the 2-3 shift I shifted at 5,000 to be conservative and the trans went up to 6,something and hit the rev limiter.

Figured, no big deal. First time for everything right? Wrong!

Second run, shifted the 2-3 shift at 5,000 again and it shifted at 5900 or somewhere close to that.

third run, shifted the 2-3 shift at 5,000 and hit the rev limiter again.

At this point I figured I would stop shifting manually ( yeah, it takes me awhile to learn LOL ). I take the car out today and moshed the gas at around 60MPH. I realize ( in drive ) that the car doesnt really want to shift before the rev limiter. This time, it shifted on the 2-3 shift RIGHT BEFORE she hit the rev limiter.

During normal driving the trans seems good. No problems with shifting at all.

What do you think may be the problem? And please, no "the problem is the 4l60e sucks" posts please LOL.

I will stop shifting manually with this tranny. Could it be the servo's? Friend of mine suggested that but I just dont know squat about trannies.

Please help.

~Steve~

P.S. I am gonna look into a tranny pan. Alot cheaper than a whole new rebuild!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A similar situation happened on my car. No tuning would make it shift before hitting the rev limiter. Turned out the Torque converter was slipping. When sent in for rebuild it had 4 flattened fins. One thing to check is your stall, if it has gone up significantly.....
Old 06-04-2004, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

My car had this problem for months. I read every post I could find on this forum...no luck. The car was driven to my tranny shop to use the 6 mo warranty(level 5 tranny). When it was taken apart, the 3-4 clutch pack was burned.
I tried all the short cuts, to no avail.
I would suggest to you checking the tranny fluid. If it looks or smells like it's burnt, just go ahead and get the rebuild, with better parts this time. I did, and everything works fine now.
Sometimes, we just don't want to believe that it's time for a rebuild, due to the expense, and down time. We want to believe that since the tranny still works right in everyway, except WOT from 2-3, that it has to be something simple.
Just trying to save somebody the time, trouble, and grief I had to go through.