Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 4l80 brass in pan

Hard to see but it's brass
Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

4l80 fresh build 2k ago pulled pan and found this should I be worried? Also pressure is a little low transgo2 installed
Old 08-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be a little concerned. Could be a washer in planet assembly
Old 08-05-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any body else in the know take a stab at it? I'm thinking just getting one from jake.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

As Ryan Porter stated could be a Thrust washer, Or a Bushing.

4L80E/TH400 make brass, But that is a lot for 2,000 miles! I would say to check rear endplay, But not easy to do unless the unit is standing up.

You can check if the unit is oiling......Get the unit through & through hot, Pull the rear Cooler line, Run a hose from the line to a bucket, Start the vehicle.....Should have good flow.

The Pressure Regulator/Boost Valve puts priority to Line Pressure, If the Pump is worn or has a leak, The Regulator can shut off Cooler/Lube flow. And even make the TCC clutch drag at hot idle.

The Trans Go shift kit has a Pressure Release Valve that is prone to leak. Their Boost Valves are **** in my opinion. That shift kit isn't even needed if the unit is being built, Dual Feeding the Directs can be done internally when apart, They are nice for wreaking yard pull outs for the cheapskates

Maybe it would be best to have it built right, Some builders think they can throw Frictions & a Shift Kit at it & call it good.....The 4L80E is a stout unit, But they can wear out. I built a '01 core the other day that was in real bad shape, The Boost Valve was worn, Regulator bore had to be oversized, AFL Bore oversized, Pump gears worn, Direct Drum where the Rings ride....Didn't know the Plastic rings could wear the drum like that, Seen Cast rings do it though. Every bushing was shot, Even the Long one in the Center Support.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I needed a trans for my swap my friend who owns a trans shop had a 99 case . He got a core from bone yard and built it using trans go 2. I saw the core it looked to be an early case . Im thinking something might be mismatched? In all fairness I have been beating the bag out of this thing the other thing is I'm using a quick one controler. They have a part# for the holley epc u need . I ran the part # of the one in trans it's from a 4l60 not sure if this matters
Old 08-08-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
I needed a trans for my swap my friend who owns a trans shop had a 99 case . He got a core from bone yard and built it using trans go 2. I saw the core it looked to be an early case . Im thinking something might be mismatched? In all fairness I have been beating the bag out of this thing the other thing is I'm using a quick one controler. They have a part# for the holley epc u need . I ran the part # of the one in trans it's from a 4l60 not sure if this matters
You can use a 4L60E EPC in a 4L80E without issue. They may "Clock" a little different but function the same.

Mismatching parts from '91-'96 cores with '97 & up cores is a Very Bad idea! I learned that the hard way 15 years ago. I keep all Early & Late parts & cores separate just for that reason. The Lube system alone is vastly different.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I tested line pressure and it seemed ok . I updated my controller to the quick 4 that has on board diagnostics and basically trans is slipping even at max line pressure. I'm thinking of a gmpp 4l85 or a jakes 4l80

Quick Reply: 4l80 brass in pan