Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time 4l60e rebuild at home

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time 4l60e rebuild at home

Hey guys new to the site just looking for some input here. I'm running a 2000 ws6 auto. Pretty stock pacesetter LTS ory just purchased torquer v4 tsp cam. Car had 120 on stock trans before it started slipping pretty bad. I removed trans last night and today I ordered the ss rebuild kit from monster transmission- http://www.monstertransmission.com/4L60E4L65E-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit-SS-Monster-In-A-Box-1998-02_p_5240.html#.VgLzClfD_MI I also had gone with a 3200 stall converter. I am aware I will need an upgraded accessory trans cooler because of the stall. I plan on doing the rebuild Saturday Im pretty mechanically inclined but I have yet to do a transmission rebuild. Was wondering if someone on here could give me some tips things to look for special tools I might need to get? I know the trans kit I got may be a little much but I drive the car pretty hard and plan on more mods during the off season. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll donate my rebuild thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ld-thread.html

And here's a list of specialty tools, copied and pasted from a post of mine with some added commentary from mrvedit in red and green
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Specialty" tools include:

Pump alignment tool - No need; use two 12" long hose clamps
Pump puller - No need; use vice grips on the pump and a big screwdriver underneath it.
Bushing press - Yes, I use a HF press.
Snap ring pliers - Yes, the best are "Stanley Proto J250G Proto 9-Inch Lock Ring Horseshoe Washer Pliers" for $33 on Amazon
Lock ring pliers - Yes
Spring compressor - Yes, one each for input drum, reverse drum and low/reverse clutch
Feeler gauge that can do around 0.0010 to upwards of 0.0100 - Of course
Teflon seal resizer - Good idea, both installers and resizers. I use old stator shaft and reverse drum as my "resizers". You might ask a local trans shop to install them for you.
Depending on the year, a T-50 Torx Plus bit to remove the bell housing - Critical! If you strip one, it will take a long time to drill it out. Need an impact wrench and good technique too.
Air pump to test seals/pistons - Yes, an air compressor with a rubber tipped blow gun.

Many of these can be homemade or there are ways around using them. I included some things that a handyman might not consider a specialty tool, but that the average Joe may not have like feeler gauges or lock ring pliers. As to the lock ring pliers to removing the lock ring for things like the spring cages, don't be surprised if you have to grind it a bit to make it fit, especially on the low-reverse spring cage.

Quick Reply: First time 4l60e rebuild at home