Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does an OEM Shifter Hook-up to the Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does an OEM Shifter Hook-up to the Trans?

In the future I'm looking at getting a built 4l60 for my 5.3 swap. I'm trying to figure out how an OEM shifter controls the transmission versus the aftermarket ones and if it is worth getting a manual valve body.

THe car will be a daily driver.

Does the PRND stock on a silverado or the floor shifter on a auto camaro have a cable or linkage that runs to the transmission? Or is it all just electric that tells the Computer you want to shift into this gear, then it doesn't it's math and shifts when conditions are met?

Can you run something like a BM pro ratchet with a standard built transmission how would it connect?

Also for example if you wanted to manually shift the trans while leaving it a electric controlled non-manual valve bodied, with the proper tune will it give you full control with instantaneous shifts or are you just wasting your time?

I would love to make an auto feel like a manual to prevent the car feeling dull but I also feel like it could be kind of tedious after awhile. I'd love some input on thoughts from anyone who dailies a manual valve body and all.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

If its a 4l60e you should start at park (P) at the top, moving down into R,N,D,3,2,1. It is a linkage set up, not electronic because the 4l60e has one long main valve bore and piston that is responible for the machanical end of routing fluid theough the transmission. If you want to manually shift like an automatic buy an hd trasgo2 shift kit. Or swap in an actual manual transmission. Their is no such thing as instantaneous shifts in an automatic. An auto is controlled with fluid, so hydraulic pressure. The computer commands a shift to begin before it evem happens. You could boost main line pressure sure. Then again the quicker you shift in an auto the harder it is too. Not too coomfy for dd. Especially not with a big stall.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

So is there any benefit in shifting speed command on a full manual valve body on a built auto versus just shifting through the computer? Am I correct in udnerstanding a manual valve body setup you physically control the mechanical action that gets the trans to shift? Versus a non full manual valve body you just tell the computer you want to shift now?

So the benefits of a full manual versus a tuned computer auto is just being able to run up RPMs and more of the 'fun manual feel'?

Also meant to ask, in a full manual valve body do you also have to control lockup with a button?

One more, with a built auto and a computer tuned for faster shifts, can you set up the computer to only work in the gear you have it in. Such as you put it in 3rd at 1200 RPM, got WOT, it will stay in 3rd and not downshift? Also going 5500 RPM in 2nd at a cruise speed and it will not shift to 3rd? I'd assume it'd prevent you from going 7000 RPM in any gear as a safety anyways.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

First i apologize for the long reply, I've been super busy this week. Anyways, their is no huge advantage of a manual valve body vs a computer controlled one. It sounds like you want to be able shift when you want and hold gears. There are shift kits that will let you do just that. Yes a full manual valvebody gives the driver complete control of the trans. You can tune your tranny to do just about anything you want. To answer your lock up question i doubt you would need to wire a switch, but in theory you could. I would assume if you're going through the trouble of a manual valve body you probably have a non lock up converter anyways

Quick Reply: How does an OEM Shifter Hook-up to the Trans?