Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E w/20.10 volts @ pin E

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4L60E w/20.10 volts @ pin E

Just replace 4L60E in my 04 Silverado 4x4(what a &$!?/@ nightmare). Test drove and it is in limp home mode. Codes all seem to point to electrical. Tested E connector and I get 20.10 volts🤔. Hooked E con to bat and I get clicks from shift sols. but no responds from the 20.10 volts @ the 13 pin con. I'm really scratching my head as to why its reading 20.10 volts.
When I dropped the old trans I mashed the round connector and have since replaced it. There are two pinks and two yellow with black stripe, would mixing them up cause this? I tested the other pink, I think pin N and got 10.6 volts.

Any thoughts would of course be greatly appreciated

I am new to this please forgive any f-ups
Old 05-23-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

Since the electrical system on these cars is 12V, there is no way to read 20.1 volts. The absolute max with the engine/alternator running is about 14.7 volts.
Therefore, I suspect you are reading something other then 20.10 volts, maybe the fuse to the trans is blown and you are reading only 20.1 milli-volts.
In any case, once you read a proper 12V-14V at pin E, I suspect everything will work.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Teching In

That's why I e been scratching my head. I ran a jumper cable and I read 12.14 same setting on the meter. The solinoids click when hooked up to the cable, as you said I'm sure it will be fine once I get 12 @ pin E. I checked all fuses none were bad ( continuity test) on all fuses. I'm thinking maybe I pinched a wire in the bell housing.
I got a new multimeter last night will test again. Thanks for the reply.

04 Silverado 5.3L 322000 miles purrs like 8 cats
Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Eightkatsman;19272456]That's why I e been scratching my head. I ran a jumper cable and I read 12.14 same setting on the meter. The solinoids click when hooked up to the cable, as you said I'm sure it will be fine once I get 12 @ pin E. I checked all fuses none were bad ( continuity test) on all fuses. I'm thinking maybe I pinched a wire in the bell housing.
I got a new multimeter last night will test again. Thanks for the reply.

04 Silverado 5.3L 322000 miles purrs like 8 cats[
Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose it's possible to have a transformer effect giving you more than 12 volts if you have loops in your cable or the cable is too close to other wiring. It might be worthwhile to make sure other cables are separated from the trans harness.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for responding.
I haven't had time to get under my truck in a few days (12-14hr days). I was wondering as a temp. fix if I could run a stand alone wire to pin E with a toggle switch (for shut off when ignition is turned off) do you think this would do any electrical damage?
I have another engine I am currently rebuilding and plan on installing in a few months.at that time I could track down my problem a lot easier with the engine out.

An old quote from way back I always could relate to "When I'm good, I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm better!" Mae West

By the way your ride sounds like fun
Old 05-26-2016, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

The Trans Fuse is in the I/P fusebox at the end of the Dash on the Driver side, IGN 0, 10 amp, Not in the Underhood fusebox!

Check the Fuse, If blown, Replace it with a 5 or 7.5 Amp Fuse, Start the engine, Check the Fuse, If Not blown, Put the Trans in Reverse, IF the Fuse blows......Swap the 2 Pink wires at the Trans Plug (Pin E & N)!

Replace the IGN 0 Fuse with a 10 Amp when done with diagnostics & repair.

Most folks do not know how to use a Multimeter, I have hired seasoned technicians that do not know, It takes practice & familiarity with a tool to become proficient at using it.
For a weekend DIY'er....A Incandescent Test Light for testing simple Power & Ground circuits is good.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 PM
Teching In

I will give that a try, I have checked fuse they were ok but I will check again.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 05-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Unhappy

You were right😺 Tried what you suggested and all is well. I had switched the pink wires earlier but like a dumb *** never rechecked the fuse, it was blown!

Now it shifts like a breeze. I also replaced the oil pump, I had lifter noise so bad that I bought a replacement engine w/125000 mi. All the noise was the pump and maybe the timing chain! Now I'm going to rebuild the other engine.

Thanks to all for the assist.

Quick Reply: 4L60E w/20.10 volts @ pin E