Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running (not driving) a 4L80E without electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Running (not driving) a 4L80E without electronics?

Is it ok to run my engine with the 4L80E and converter bolted up and ready to go but not have the EZ-TCU connected yet? Engine operation would be idle only and the transmission would be left in park. Reason being, I've got the LS engine in the car (BMW) and running (trans not installed) but will have to switch PCM's and rewire the harness for cable throttle. I don't want to wire in the EZ-TCU to the DBW harness only to have to tear it apart once I switch to DBC. I would like to install the transmission if I can while maintaining the ability to run the engine so I can test the PCM/Wiring change.

Thanks!
S.F.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you just use the TCI TCU?
My buddy who's going to help me install my 80E has a 80 in his 71 GS 455 and loves the TCI TCU.
I'm going to use my compushift 1 in my nova.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wht/73
Why don't you just use the TCI TCU?
My buddy who's going to help me install my 80E has a 80 in his 71 GS 455 and loves the TCI TCU.
I'm going to use my compushift 1 in my nova.
I have the Fast/TCI Ez-TCU already and will be using it but I don't want to install it yet because I will be modifying the engine harness in the specific areas where the EZ-TCU will be connecting. I want to be able to install the transmission (will allow me to move forward on the exhaust layout, driveshaft ordering, finalize O2 sensor wiring, etc) but I need to retain the ability to run the engine so I can make sure my changes to the PCM and wiring are functioning correctly. Once I know that change is good, I can then connect the trans controller.

S.F.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't really like it as you will have Maximum EPC Pressure. As long as the TCC doesn't drag.......You will be fine.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I don't really like it as you will have Maximum EPC Pressure. As long as the TCC doesn't drag.......You will be fine.
Sounds like there is some risk involved, perhaps it's best if I get the PCM engine wiring finished up, test the new DBC setup and then install the transmission. Thank you for lending your expertise.

S.F.

Quick Reply: Running (not driving) a 4L80E without electronics?