Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Cooler Location?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Cooler Location?

I am getting ready to install my B&M trans cooler on my 97 Z28 and have read just about all the write ups on it. One question I still have is where to mount it on the radiator? Is there any spot that is better to mount it? Also I have read people use spacers to leave a gap between the trans cooler and radiator, what do you use to create that gap? I will be using the zip tie things that came with the cooler.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mounted mine to the front of the A/C condenser with the special zip ties, it seems to work pretty well.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Most trans coolers come with four little rubber squares that you place between the cooler and the mounting surface. They also have some mounting (thingy) that slide in between the fins in the cooler and radiator,kinda like a round zip tie. Its not so much that it need space between the cooler,you don't want to mount both together because it will vibrate and eventually cause a leak. You want to mount it to where it gets the most air flow. Most cars have a wind dam that send on coming air up into the condenser/radiator and that where you want the cooler.
That how we have been mounting the for the last 20+ yrs at our shop
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Put a gap between the radiator/ac condenser, which ever one you are mounting to. You get better cooling and air flow. I use large nuts as my spacer and just run the radiator ties threw the middle.

Mounting your cooler anywhere on the radiator with a gap will get plenty of air.

Also bypass the stock cooler in the radiator.

What B&M cooler did you go with?
Old 10-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious....

For those of us with A/C......Will a small Killer Chiller type cooling box work with tranny fluid passing through it. So easy to make one and you can mount it anywhere.

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler Location?