Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transmission is being installed today. will post update on how it runs
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Teching In

transmission lasted 5 miles. now I am going to have to end up paying another $700 to get it removed. took the car for test drive was shifting fine for couple miles then boooooom... tow truck on its way. so pissed right now cant even type.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They tried to tell you man.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1le2
transmission lasted 5 miles. now I am going to have to end up paying another $700 to get it removed. took the car for test drive was shifting fine for couple miles then boooooom... tow truck on its way. so pissed right now cant even type.
Ouch, what are the symptoms?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I guess we know they still can't make transmissions worth a darn.

Let us know if they have new and improved customer service with "oversite" as Monster employee slatton says.

Am I correct that you spent $700 to have the drop and replace done? And will now have to do that again with the *fingers crossed* replacement from Monster? Plus like $200 in towing fees?

Will Monster cover the return shipping or will it be a "We didn't install it. You broke it with a bad install job. Our transmissions are the best. No warranty"

There are some real doozies on Monster in this forum.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Teching In

they are going to pull the tranny and figure out what's going on first before I point fingers. could be a bad install with incorrect converter installed with broken pump or bad input drum. Monster did send me the wrong Converter the first time to the transmission shop. we will have to wait and see. as of now I am in charge of 2 swaps at 680 bucks each unless someone tells me the truth. I will find out tomorrow when its out of car.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Well Ryan, I certainly don't want to make excuses. We need to take a look at the transmission. You said that your transmission was slipping before, because it couldn't handle the torque of your dyno measured 445RWH. Now another transmission has blown. No transmission is bulletproof, and if your vehicle is killing transmissions, it could something deeper. Regardless, we need to investigate why this transmission blew, so that the same issue isn't experienced by anyone else.

We shipped out 80 other transmissions along with yours, and your is the only one to come back, so far. That's a 1.25% failure rate. Of course, it's Murphy's law that yours would be the one to fail, because we've literally given it more attention than anyone else's order, since first talking with you.

It didn't fail because we didn't care.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Slatton, the transmission didn't make it past 35mph it died literally on test run after shop installed it. Like I said it could of been a bad install as I will find out tomorrow. If they did install TC wrong it will likely be a broken pump and should be an easy fix. If it's input drum then it will be going back without a doubt.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds like a bad install.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Subscribed
Old 01-22-2017, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Was a bad install the pump was busted. They didn't put converter on all the way. Had nothing to do with Monster as they been working with me every step. Car will be done Monday and now I'm parinoid as hell waiting lol.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

An immediate failure or one within the first few minutes typically is a broken pump rotor due to improper converter installation. It is every transmission vendor's nightmare because the vendor is then always blamed. Even a rough installation can crack the rotor, which due to its heat hardening is brittle.

Pretty bad that a professional (or at least claiming to be) shop installed it improperly.

When installing a converter yourself DO NOT RELY ON COUNTING "CLICKS".
Instead:
Seat the converter carefully and when you think it is fully seated, MEASURE WITH A RULER. Place a straightedge across the bell housing and measure the distance from the converter pads to the straightedge. It MUST BE AT LEAST 1". Ideally 1-1/8 plus/minus 1/16, but definitely at least 1". This is true for all GM converters, and even most Ford, Chrysler and others.

My other suggestion is first only go finger tight when bolting the bellhousing to the engine.
Assuming the bell housing is flush with the engine, measure the distance between the flexplate and the converter pads using e.g. drill bits. Make sure there is a gap! If there is no gap, the converter is not fully seated and you need to check again.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Good advice, mrvedit.

We ship out around 100 transmissions weekly, and an average of about 3 come back. We'll round that to 150 a year. Of those 150, about 120 are bad/sloppy/rushed installations, where the shop or customer will just blame us for it, in hopes of getting another shot at doing it right. Of course, we want to try to figure out the problem over the phone or computer, to get the problem resolved quickly. So, we ask for pictures, to try to troubleshoot the actual problem, and see if we might be able to just send over the part to fix it. If the shop knows/suspects it might be their fault, they usually resist and just insist that we send a new transmission.

For instance, there was a video making the rounds last month where a 442 comes apart on the dyno. What's interesting is that we had replaced this customer's 1st Monster Transmission 2 months before, just days before their initial extended warranty expired.

A month before posting the video on Facebook, the shop tried to get us to accept blame for this most recent incident, but wouldn't give us any meaningful feedback. In our experience, there was an underlying issue that the customer was failing to address, which caused the transmission to fail again. They threatened to post video of the vehicle blowing up on the dyno, if we didn't PAY for the customer's new transmission (he purchase a third tranny from somewhere else). We asked to see the video first, before accepting responsibility, but they said no, so we said no. They posted the video, and blamed Monster Transmission in the title of the video.

Of course, when the video was posted, we were eager to watch it, so that we could see where we might have gone wrong, and to improve on our failures. However, the problem wasn't our transmission at all.

In the video (vehicle is on a dyno), sparks started flying from the differential first. Pictures of the aftermath indicate that the drive shaft broke, and started slapping the crap out to the bottom of the vehicle and ripping up the transmission tail housing. The comments from viewers of the video was actually our BEST DEFENSE, as they mostly agreed that the driveshaft was probably too long. This led the shop to change the title of the video, and remove their own comments where they blamed us.

We suspect that the long driveshaft was the actual problem for BOTH failures, as the customer said (through Q&A) that their driveshaft was new. The customer probably never considered that the first one was too long, so they just got the same setup, which resulted in the same exact failure.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Teching In

everything has been put back together with new pump installed.. they test drove it out for 15 miles and everything ran great. I do want to thank Slatton at Monster Transmission's for working with me every step of the way. issue was a bad install who would of thought. Sh** happens I am just glad the shop admitted it.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Everything seems to be great so far.. Had the car out all day yesterday shifts nice and smooth with 0 slippage. Just needs a re-tune to change my lock up on converter and maybe up the pressure with higher stall.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake posted a great thread about proper transmission installation and checks to make... ALOT Of so called shops could take heed.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Default Transmission

Well.. I defiantly have some updates for you guys. stay tuned!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Waiting patiently........
Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Bump....in for results.

Quick Reply: Monster Transmission