Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monster Transmission

Has anyone ever ordered the monster SS transmission and had good luck.. I am debating on Monster or Performance Built. only thing is Monster has the financing deal going on and could use the 12months
Old 12-09-2016, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

I have not personally dealt with either company myself. That being said, Have you read the reviews on them yet?

https://monster-transmission.pissedconsumer.com/
https://www.yelp.com/biz/monster-tra...ce-brooksville

I am sure there are people that have had good luck. Myself, I have heard more Bad stories than good.

Taking that into consideration, I have watched his online video's. These video's Alone told me everything I needed to know about the company and the type of work I could expect from them.

I would encourage you to do more research. Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Teching In

why did you have to show me those reviews lol
Old 12-09-2016, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt1le2
why did you have to show me those reviews lol
Watch his video's if you haven't done so... If you have basic knowledge of a transmission or the parts inside you will really be scared off...
Old 12-09-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Here is my research on them:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...uld-i-run.html
Old 12-09-2016, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always enjoy the results when somebody asks about Monster Transmission.

Lots of funny posts inevitably follow.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I know you have been inside a transmission. So I have to ask, Have you ever watched his video's?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I know you have been inside a transmission. So I have to ask, Have you ever watched his video's?
No I haven't, but I guess I should.
I remember watching ex-sponsor Mad Dog's video and it was incredible that he didn't know how to ID a 4L65E and incorrectly described some parts. And the camera bounces around and his shop looks like a pit. I felt sorry for the other sponsors who had to think "I have to compete with this idiot".

Back to Monster - the Yelp reviews are incredible. As one said, they really should all be Zero stars.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrvedit
No I haven't, but I guess I should.
I remember watching ex-sponsor Mad Dog's video and it was incredible that he didn't know how to ID a 4L65E and incorrectly described some parts. And the camera bounces around and his shop looks like a pit. I felt sorry for the other sponsors who had to think "I have to compete with this idiot".

Back to Monster - the Yelp reviews are incredible. As one said, they really should all be Zero stars.
Oh man, That guy took the cake...

I just went through some of the monster videos and it looks like they pulled alot of the old stuff down, But there is a few winners still up...
Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Default I work at Monster Transmission

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I have not personally dealt with either company myself. That being said, Have you read the reviews on them yet?

I would encourage you to do more research. Good luck with your choice.
I currently work at Monster Transmission in Brooksville, Florida, and I can tell you that those reviews are... WERE rather accurate. There was a time in our history where we got off track and let the "foxes guard the hen house". In fact, it was that way until just recently. We kind of outgrew ourselves and stopped focusing on our customers, and "building relationships".

I can assure you that those reviews don't reflect the culture of our company anymore. We're 66 employees right now, and are moving to a new facility that is literally 10 times the size of our current location. We'll be hiring more technicians to accommodate our current work load, in order to trim the 37 day wait to a much more acceptable timeline.

Best of all, we've replaced our customer service staff with real professionals. Most of the bad reviews out there are customer service related, because we didn't have the right people in place, and we didn't provide the right training for them to be successful. It was our fault, but we learned from our mistakes and are improving.

Not to say that we haven't made mistakes with our transmissions, either. We've re-manufactured nearly 50,000 transmissions in the last 13 years, and shipped them all over the world. It would be an absolute miracle to not have shipped some duds. The failures we made in the past were in how we handled the customers who recieved those duds, which was due to bad oversite. We've since fixed those problems.

Same family still owns the company, but we've re-focused our energies back on what made us successful in the first place - our customers.

I hope this helps in your decision making.

Mike Slatton
Monster Transmission
Old 12-09-2016, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew exactly what I would find in this thread too lol

Post in the transmissions section looking for guidance on who to do business with.

Monster may very well have turned things around but there are a couple vendors that are always highly recommended by other members on here that historically have had no drama on here with many trans being used and abused all over the forum vs. very few being used on the forum and a high ratio of drama....let the general public be the guinea pigs first as a member of this forum you have access to the inside track on best routes to go on parts ,vendors ,to use ,etc... take advantage by posting and by using the search feature to research before posting - most topics including this one are well covered.

Last edited by murphinator; 12-09-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A good friend of mine has their 4L60E in a 500hp 383 Chevelle and loves it.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Slatton: If your company is now more professional, they could start by removing this Youtube video which claims to show the difference between a 4L60E and 4L65E:

I just commented on it with:

WRONG INFO !!!
The trans with the 12 O'Clock bolt hole is either an LS-style 4L60E or 4L65E (or even 4L70E) as there is no way to externally distinguish them. Also the 4L65E was not introduced until 2003, with perhaps a few in 2002.
Shady trans shops often call the LS-style trans a 4L65E to dupe the customer into paying more for a basic 4L60E.

This kind of wrong info causes a lot of confusion. Ex-sponsor Mad Dog Transmissions had the same wrong info in one of his videos.

Also I discovered the fake review site on the same server as the main website in early 2016. The fake review site was then moved to a distant server. That is about the most un-ethical thing I have ever caught a company doing.

Also the Yelp reviews are only a few months old. Culture doesn't change.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

*mic drop*
Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

if you haven't figured it out by now, go with a sponsor.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Buying gold at the price of aluminum.....Caveat emptor !
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Default Monster

I am going to try them out and buy the SS 4L65E 650hp with 2500 Converter. I will let everyone know how it turns out. this is the one I selected. see below. I couldn't pass up the deal they gave me along with the financing. only thing I am not sure of is the servo. they claim its a Billet servo stronger then the corvette one.. I will have to get some more info on that. I will give them a big chance to prove there tranny build to me even with all the negative feedback.

SS Mega Monster Transmissions
Engineered to Dominate, the 4L65E 2WD SS Mega Monster transmission is tough enough to withstand the rigors of even the toughest street machines delivering tire-spinning shifts race after race. It is ideal for vehicles powered by 4.8, 5.3, LS1, or 6.0L engines producing up to 650 horsepower with a non-nitrous system using pump gasoline. Equipped with a Reprogrammed Automatic valve body, most units allow you to shift the vehicle into each gear change or, by placing it in the drive position, remain fully automatic. In either mode, you get a fully customizable racetrack shift that bangs through the gears giving you all the right to say "Eat My Shift!".

The SS Mega Monster Transmission features: the latest technology in our industry with only the best internal components for increased strength, dependable performance and monster torque capacity. All Monster transmissions are thoroughly inspected, blue printed and tested to ensure that your investment is completely flawless. For the system to operate properly, ECM computer code(s) must be cleared prior to initial drive of new transmission. We recommend using a Snapon-OTC or Dealer scanner for this procedure.

PRECISION MASTER OVERHAUL KIT
NEW ELECTRONICS INCLUDE
SUPERIOR HIGH PERFORMANCE REPROGRAMMING SHIFT KIT
SUPER PUMP
DIRECT/REVERSE INPUT DRUM
TURBINE INPUT CLUTCH HOUSING
MODIFIED SUNSHELL DRIVE GEAR TO INCREASE REAR PLANETARY LUBRICATION
MODIFIED INPUT SUN GEAR TO INCREASE FORWARD PLANETARY LUBRICATION
UPDATED/MODIFIED ACCUMULATORS
PERFORMANCE SERIES KEVLAR BAND *For SS Only
NEW HEAVY DUTY KOLENE STEELS AND RED ALTO RACING CLUTCHES *For SS Only
HEAVY DUTY SUNSHELL
RECALIBRATED VALVEBODY
RECALIBRATED VALVE PLATE FOR SHIFT FIRMNESS
NEW HIGH FLOW FILTER
NEW LOW/REVERSE HEAVY DUTY SPRAG
NEW 29 ELEMENT HEAVY DUTY FORWARD INPUT SPRAG
NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE ALUMINUM SERVO

MONSTER HEAVY DUTY TORQUE CONVERTERS AVAILABLE FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE

Last edited by lt1le2; 12-12-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Teching In

I've been running a built 4L85E from Monster for a few years without any issues, which is now for sale, T56 swapping. I haven't had anything bad to say about it. On the other hand, a buddy fried a 700R4 in a few miles, but I blame his lack of detent cable knowledge. Those clutch packs looked awesome when we pulled them...
Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Teching In

thanks for the feedback Eredin. I have 3-4 weeks build time. hopefully I have same experience as you.

Quick Reply: Monster Transmission