Sponsored by:

Shifter cable questions, picture inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Shifter cable questions, picture inside

Hello fellow performance enthusiasts! ,

I am installing a 4l80e into a 240sx. I recently purchase a camaro shifter, and I took a shift bracket from a 4l60e in the junkyard, and put the two together thinking it would work just fine.

So here is the issues. First, the cable is a bit too short for my application. I extended it all the way out and it still just baarely makes it. Does anyone have any idea if there is a slightly longer cable available from another vehicle? Longer than my camaro cable.

Second, once I finally bent the bracket to make the cable fit, tightly, the end of the cable would NOT snap onto the bracket like I thought it would. I think something fell out of my cable! Can you look at my picture below and tell me if something is supposed to be in there to catch the bracket? I've never had one before, this is my first time.

Name:  missing-omg_zpsk8iua3xw.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  527.6 KB

thanks!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned

Ah yes, apparently it is missing a bushing. The seller from ebay is sending me one. I feel silly even asking but this is my first time so, I always ask
Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

update:

actually the seller responded with " We checked all the camaro shifter cables and none of them have any bushing inside them, so it must not use one"

So I guess I need a camaro 4l60e shifter bracket?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if i recall you need the 4l60e linkage also the 4l80e linkage will not fit on a 4l60e cable
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Banned

When you say "linkage" what does that refer to?

I do not have any 4l80e specific parts at all. here is what I have:

4l60e camaro shifter + cable
sonnax shifter bracket (seems like it will work if I bend it a little. I also had to open the hole for the camaro shift cable to fit. total custom job but looks like it will work)

And thats it. I am not sure which part is the "linkage". All I appear to be missing is the shift bracket for the gear selector, that tiny piece in the top of my picture. The Camaro version 4l60e apparently uses a 10mm ball on the end of it, which is what I want.

I wonder if I can just weld a big gob of aluminum on the end of the 4l60e bracket to make this work. I'd much prefer an actual 4l60e bracket + bracket (both of them) but they seem in short supply.

Quick Reply: Shifter cable questions, picture inside