Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping..

I have a 99 trans am with 56000 miles on it. Got the mods in the sig and I have just recently out of no where been getting a serious tranny slippage. I had it in 3rd the other day, just didnt notice i threw it in 3rd instead of drive so when I hit it at 60 to go around a few cars at bout 80 it shifted and slipped like crazy took like 2 seconds to find the gear! So i threw it in drive and did it again and it didnt slip but the shfts do feel ferm and feel a lil sluggish. Any ideas before I ake it to somebody so I know if theyre bull shitting me?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Try checking your fluid on the Trans dip stick, if it is light-medium brown get it flushed and new in there(about 130 bucks) and if its black that means the clutches are all burned up inside the tranny and needs a rebuild, I have a 99 trans am A4 with a few more mods pushing near 500 hp and i blew the tranny before winter at 51000 miles, got it rebuilt and tossed in a 3200 converter. I had the same problem as you right now, 1st and 2nd gear were normal, shifted firm and normally, -3rd and -4th was a different story, took a long time to shift, mostly just revving. Ive got just one tip, do not take it to the dealer, they will make you upset by blaming it on you for the nittos and for "souping up the car." If any questions ask me.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright. Thanks alot man thats exactly what I was looking for! Im prolly going to make a lil trip today bout 45 minutes to a friends and once I get there prolly check the tranny fluid after its warmed up. I live in a small town and id prolly have to take it to Augusta georgia which is where I go to school to get it re built...how much was it to fix your tranny when you were having the same problems?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Well I had it rebuilt and it ran me 850 for the red eagle performance rebuild and i threw in a new torque converter(500) 3200 stall. My friend helped me put it in so there wasnt any r&r fee which is normally 500 at a shop. It isnt required to install a new torque converter on a rebuild but isnt a bad idea considering they go bad after so long and abuse. Glad I could help ya out... let me know how it goes.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

how much does it cost for a good rebuild parts & labor (not that AAMCO bullshit)? vs. a new A4 put in? weigh that. if it's not much more to get a new one, then i would just drive that A4 until it dies and not worry about destroying parts.

like changing and powerflushing the fluid might cause more slip if you haven't changed the fluid at all for that 60k miles (and the crud is holding the A4 from slipping)....this is what happened on my Mustang's AOD. so after that, i poured in 3 bottles of Lucas Trans. Fix....and it ran for another 4-5 months. you can do other cheap stuff like buy a used HPP3 and raise the shift firmness to 100% to get every last miles out of your dying trans.